

# 221<sup>st</sup> FC external meeting

Thursday November 19<sup>th</sup> 2020, 10:30 PM – 12:00 PM, Online via Zoom

FC members	Guests	EB
Jacomijn Klitsie (JK) (C)	Cazijn Langelaar (CL)	Anne van de Graaf (AvdG)
Younes Assou (YA) (VC)	Mira Danadharta (MD)	Claudia Rutten (CR)
Mohammad Ansarin (MA) (VC)	Daniel Feenstra (DF)	Purseij Heugens (PH)
Silvija Prancane-Verhoef (SPV)	Adri Meijdam (AM)	Eric Waarts (EW)
Helen Gubby (HG)	Gabi Helfert (GH)	
Marja Flory (MF)	Klaas Wassens (KW)	
Tristan Davanzo (TD)		
Mathilde de Jonge (MdJ)		
Keisha Mathews (KM)		
Absent: Ruben Schwagermann		

Secretary to the Faculty Council: Rixt Baerveldt

1. Opening
2. Agenda
3. Announcements

HG: We have heard of staff having to put the Remindo exams themselves. It is an awful lot of work. I heard that this take around two days. I teach in the law-school, and there is a team ready to help with these online exams. They make sure that everything is sort out. I could even have an hour meeting to help me with the grading. Why is there not somebody available to help teachers do these kinds of tasks? Second thing is that there have been some major technical issues where students could not log in. There was no one really on site to sort that thing out. This is a stressful situation for staff with preparing exams, but also a stressful situation during exams. In the law-school, they do make the M-hall available. If you are capable to come to the physical exam, you will have an old-fashioned exam. It is a relief to have a quiet place to make your exam, and if there is a problem with the internet, it is an EUR problem. We have really been grateful to have that opportunity. AvdG: the issue of the support at examination is a big issue. Previously Eur would support the examination, that has shifted completely to the faculty. We have just decided to provide resources to T5 to start filling this gap. The reason why we are lagging is because we face some financial challenges. We are not going to wait for EUR central. You would still need to do the online exams as we made promises to students. It would lead to more work. HG: In the law school they made it available. GH: It is also a budgetary issue, if we use the M-hall, we need the supervisors there. We already have to pay money per proctored seat. If you want to do it both ways, it would make our budget tight. HG: The law-school does do this. GH: They might have another budget allocation process. How it is allocated at the moment, there is very little space for that. HG: Is there a possibility to use some HOKA funding for this? GH: There is an opportunity for students who do not have the means, and they have to register with the study advisors. This is put under personal circumstances. If they do not have a quiet space or right internet connection, there is space to make the exam on campus. We cannot make this available for every

student.

YA: It is important to give physical examination. It is hard to get a place at the university. Have you looked at how to make budget free for something like this? I have not seen anything to show input to have the possibility to have physical education. AvdG: We can ask T5 to make an overview. JK: We will make it an agenda point for next meeting.

#### 4. Follow-up to-do list 220<sup>th</sup> meeting

#### 5. Approval Minutes 220<sup>th</sup> meeting

#### 6. Premaster changes

KW: Thank you for inviting us. EW, AM and GH are also here to answer questions. JK: Have you considered the difficulties with online education and have you looked at the scale that you are proposing? KW: I have asked some people to find out how to approach this problem, and how to take some of the learnings that we have already have. Any best practices that have been developed are useful to take into account.

HG: There are some problems with fraud as well. Serious consideration has to be put into how you will deal with the exams. This is a university issue, but if you are offering an online course, you have to make sure that these exams are authenticated and do not have any cases of fraud or technical problems. AM: The examination board is formulating an assessment policy for the school. We hope to have it drafted by the end of this calendar year. Part of the plans is a proposal to change to online proctoring for all resit exams. For two reasons; there is fraud of students cooperating with each other, and identity fraud. It is easier to take someone's place. This would be an advice. If we return to the premaster program. These numbers are still good to oversee. We can execute online proctoring in the premaster program. We have not discussed it yet but we could certainly consider. JK: It is good to hear that you are looking into that.

JK: The costs of faculty are lower in 2023 than 2022, and it stays stable after that. KW: In the online version of the program, we will have all the content delivery put into the knowledge clips. The face-to-face teaching will not happen, that is why the faculty costs on the long run will be lower. We have to invest heavily in developing in these knowledge clips in the beginning. This is something that is new to us and we need to explore. The remunerations of capacity involvement also is slightly different than we were used to. We developed a formula to compensate for this average. JK: There is some kind of calculation made for changes to these numbers? KW: We have – on the suggestion of AvdG – put in some maintenance budget to keep up with the new changes. PH advises us to discuss this capacity reach so that they can count on this maintenance fee, to make sure that the premaster will be renewed on continuous basis. This maintenance fee is also available for additional features that we need to drop on, to prevent social exclusion. We want the people all over the world to come together and learn together. We need to discuss this with the learning innovation team as this is a new element. JK: The expectation to increase non-EU students is quite high. Is there a sensitivity analysis to the realism of this and the effect if these goals are not obtained? KW: I have discussed this with MR&A, and on a regular basis they have 250 international students that do not yet meet the criteria of RSM. This could be a variety of reasons, but from those 250 MR&A assesses that there are about 50 that would be eligible to start after they do some statistic additional courses. They can improve their academic skills on this particular point. Those 50 are included in this prediction. This number of 50 could grow to 75, as a relatively low number of students that once they do the statistics, they could start at RSM. These students are already in the process. They are currently rejected, but if we have a solution for

them so that they can still join. JK: These people have already approached you? KW: Yes. JK: Is there a way that you can assess what will happen if there are less students that will go to the premaster. KW: There will be an impact, but the income of these 50 is relatively small. The biggest benefit is once these students enter into the master programme. They will have to pay a higher fee, and that is the most important financial benefit of the premaster. The value is not created in the context of the premaster programme only.

JK: You keep the 75 stable now, is that because there is a cap, or because you expect not to grow?

KW: We do not yet want to accept more students. When they do the premaster, they expect to be accepted into the masters. If we grow the premaster cap, we will have to grow our master places as well and we do not want to overpromise these students.

HG: The students who do the extra statistics course, is it clear to them that if they pass the course that they are not automatically be accepted to an MsC programme? GH: Normally, the path is already being presented to these students. We would say that they qualify for the program, before they even start the premaster.

AvdG: They are guaranteed a place in the master programme, should they finish the premaster. HG: What about the statistic course? AvdG: Same thing. The entrance of the premaster is regulated with the amount of spots available in the masters.

AM: I think the guarantee cannot be given. GH: The cap is achieved by rolling admission. The premaster students can apply way earlier than the rest. In principle, I do not see a problem with that. The only exception is the CEMS

programme, where we work with a more advanced selection process. In the other programs, it is rolling admission. KW: Steering on the capacity for the premaster themselves, at this moment goes to the grading requirements in particular that keeps the numbers manageable.

JK: It would be nice to get some extra information on what happens if the numbers are different. KW: I will provide the FC with the calculation when 30 non-EEA students will do statistics as to compared to the current calculation of 50 non-EEA students. You will see that there is a limited financial impact.

KW: What is the process with the Faculty Council? When do we hear something about this? JK: Are you seeking advice or approval? KW: I am not sure. For us to go ahead, we are awaiting the approval of the Faculty Council.

MF: It is about quality of education, what do you need from programme committee? CR: You both need to give advice. We already ask advice in advance, and not wait for the OER.

EW: We have an open day at the end of the month, and we need to be able to communicate how the premaster have been done. JK: We will open a discussion, if nothing large comes up I will write a positive advice. If something larger comes up, we will discuss this in the next internal meeting.

EW: We have an open day at the end of the month, and we need to be able to communicate how the premaster have been done. JK: We will open a discussion, if nothing large comes up I will write a positive advice. If something larger comes up, we will discuss this in the next internal meeting.

EW: We have an open day at the end of the month, and we need to be able to communicate how the premaster have been done. JK: We will open a discussion, if nothing large comes up I will write a positive advice. If something larger comes up, we will discuss this in the next internal meeting.

## 7. Activity Analysis

AvdG: CL has prepared a slide pack that he is going to talk us through. We are looking if we can generate income or cut costs. It does not mean we have to achieve the goals next year, but we would like to have some sort of action path of this magnitude to improve our bottom-line. This originates from budget costs on national level and university level. This will hit our first money stream in 2021. We have decided to review how we spend the money in a more thorough way than we did in the past. We have hired two external consultants, who will show a presentation.

CL has showed a presentation to the FC about the activity analysis.

MF: You said that the decisions that you are making should be in alignment with the RSM strategy. At the same time, you are talking about decisions. What comes first? Do we have to make decisions based on your activity analysis to come up with the strategy? CL: It would be the other way around.

We would first look at the strategy and based on the strategy you can make decisions on where you want to focus on. Focus on means either increasing revenue or reducing costs on things that are not

your priority. AvdG: We are in the process of finalizing our strategy, the outline is already close to being completed. We have had a number of focus groups. Once the strategy is next to complete, we will be presenting it to the faculty council. We are not here today for decision making, there are numerous steps yet to be taken before we have actually reached the point of decision making. At that point you will be involved.

AvdG: We are in the process of finalizing the strategy. It is closed to be completed. We have had a number of focus groups. Once the strategy is next to complete, we will present it in the FC. There are still numerous steps to be taken before we need to make a decision. Later, we will present it to the FC to make a decision on it. CL: I would come up with a recommendation, but that is not what we are going to do. That is because we cannot align it with a strategy and no choices have been made yet. Today we cannot say what is the most promising increase in revenue. AvdG: The final report will be delivered in the end of November, and the EB will discuss it in December. In the beginning of January, we will be discussing it again in a wider context.

YA: Are students also contacted to talk about the scenario, like increasing the IBA students? I do think that the opinion of the students can be helpful. AvdG: In the Decision making we will identify scenarios that would require homework and another decision-making process. If the EB decided to increase the IBA students, we will be talking to the people involved. Some of those scenarios will be very long in the making. JK: You will only need consent from us when measures are being taken into policy? AvdG: It would also be nice to get your advice for the full plan. Depending on the measure, you may or may not have a later roll. That will likely be in the beginning of January. MF: If you are going to make people redundant, be aware of the fact that you will need advice and consent from us. AvdG: This overall package of scenarios will be made more specific. If there is a reorganisation, that will pass through the faculty council. There are many steps to be taken. We first need a general sense of direction.

YA: In the University Council, we had the same collaboration. We established a working group that is up to date to any process. It might be a good idea to take us on board during the process. AvdG: This session is one of them. I expect there to be more sessions like this. JK: We have a subcommittee which talked to you in the beginning. This is the first time we heard something about it after that. AvdG: This is the second time there is something to tell. It takes time to run these analyses. This is the first time we have something to show, and it is still not conclusive. However, the invitation is well received.

SPV: Who is focusing on the effects of the decisions? CL: We will share the different options that you have. If you make a decision that would be related to for example thesis supervision, there will be a group of people that will look at this. We will show you the different possibilities and what roughly can be the financial impact. SPV: One of the options is to reduce primary process support, but there is not enough of that. These same people are asking for more support. AvdG: Because of the extreme workload on T5, we have paused this process at T5. We are going to have to find an alternative solution at another date. We have released some funds to help decrease the workload. We need a better analysis on T5, as to do this now will not work. CL: If you would look at it from a cost perspective, I would say stop with the research and engagement, and you would have a profitable company. That does not work, we do include these other factors. AvdG: We will have to work towards a balancing package. We need research in order to have a two-legged faculty. There is a lot of mechanisms that tie into each other, so it is hard to just solve the issue at one point.

MF: If we are asking money for part-time PhD, it is not education for everyone. If we are asking much money for part-time education, it is not education for everyone. There was discussion in politics, that raised the issue of PMB and PTO in the chamber. It might be the same disaster. AvdG: We are currently looking into this. It is less of a hazardous issue as PMB, but there is something that we need to look into. Often these candidates have funding from companies or other sources. We want our programs to be accessible, we also have options to give tuition fee waivers. The point you make is a valid point and it is looked into. CL: We make the same model for the 2021 numbers. Based on the numbers of students that you have today, the expected income as well. We will find out if the results is a funding issue or if there is more behind the problem. We will also look at different scenarios. Will the income for students be reduced? There is also the Commissie van Rijn, that might result in lower income from diplomas for RSM in the future. We are not looking on what will happen in the future, but what the scenarios will be if you get less students. You will have an idea of what the potential risk is that you will be facing. The scenarios we show you could result in a higher improvement. The EB can choose what they think can get the best results.

JK: If we have question, we will let you know. We look forward to the follow-up discussion.

## 8. Budget

JK: We thought that some kind of thank you towards the employees would be useful. Giving the full amount would not be different from flowers or some kind of gift. You could let the staff make decisions on the direction on where the money would go.

JK: Looking at the changed prognoses, one of the largest concerns were the costs of the student assistants. We know that there was a lower deficit expected. You mention in the overview there is not necessarily a change taken into account that there will be more TA's, but we are convinced that they would increase significantly. MD: Most of the time, we hire TA's in EURflex. If we look at the amount of money, we still have room to accommodate extra time of student assistants. This new forecast is based on the actuals we have. JK: So part is already in there? MD: Yes.

AvdG: The biggest risk is still the values of the leave-dates. Maybe people will actually sell their dates. We might have to put on a bit more money on the balance. MD: The PMB income is on the balance.

MF: When can I take my leave-dates? I cannot take my leave-dates, as a colleague is sick. A lot of people in the department have the same problem, as the workload is too big.

MF: could you tell me when I can take my leave-dates? I cannot take my leave dates. I have a colleague with a burnout, and someone has to take care of the students. The workload is too big, and I know more people who have this problem.

## 9. Any other business

MF: Why are we working with EURflex? According to the Dutch law you can only have three contracts. Three times does not apply to teaching assistants. JK: We will send a message to CR to give some clarity.

## 10. Closing

To do before next meeting	Person responsible	Progress
Send message about EURflex to CR	MF	
Send overview of budget allocation	AvdG	

