By volunteering as mentors, you, as an RSM alumnus can add value to the RSM community and help the next generation of RSM alumni ‒ who have yet to graduate ‒ get off to a good start in their careers. It’s also an opportunity for you to enhance your own leadership and coaching skills as well as discover new ideas from RSM students. All it takes is the willingness to dedicate a a little time. The MentorMe programme helps to establish a warm and dynamic bond between RSM students and RSM alumni and enrich the RSM community as a whole.
Why be a mentor?
Mentoring is an essential leadership skill. In addition to managing and motivating people, you can also help others learn, grow and become more effective in their jobs. A mentorship experience will:
- Strengthen your interpersonal relationship skills
- Help you to listen actively rather than passively
- Encourage you to share knowledge, which helps increasing your sense of self-worth
- Give you access to fresh ideas and fresh thinking
What to expect?
Mentors can talk about their own experiences, describe their daily practices or what it’s like to work in their companies, as well as enabling the mentees to find their own solutions and make their own choices, move out of their comfort zone, and to have an attitude that enables them to achieve more in life. Mentors can also ‘open the eyes’ of their mentees, challenge them and make sure that they really learn from the mentoring relationship. A webinar about suggestions for mentoring sessions will be available towards 2016 summer for those who registered.
As a mentor you can expect:
- To build relationships and to explore working methods
- To give specialised advice for particular challenges based on your own experience
- Specific questions about career steps, dealing with weaknesses or developing competencies
- Requests on CV and interview tips
How to become a mentor?
If you are excited about helping the next generation of RSM'ers to reach their personal and professional goals, please go to the online mentor platform and complete the necessary steps. Registering is easy, you can even synchronise your profile with your LinkedIn account. Once you have registered, students will be able to select your profile based on criteria such as industry, company, functional area or location.
- Go to RSM MentorMe and click "become a Mentor"
- Sign up with your LinkedIn account
- Offer your particular expertise, industry or function
- Choose to mentor BSc, MSc or MBA students
- Choose your availability, to meet in person, by phone or Skype
- With your mentee, choose a one-off session or longer relationship.
“Sharing my knowledge and experience is very rewarding. The mentorship is positively received and gives me a lot of energy as a mentor. Helping others is helping myself. Finally able to give something in return and make the RSM programmes even more professional.” -Paul Monster, MSc Strategic Management 2001
“I would highly recommend every alumnus to join the MentorMe programme! I find it very energising to give back by mentoring bright and motivated students.” -Roos de Wit-Goedhart, Executive MBA 2009
“It is very inspiring to pass on wisdom and be able to become a sounding board for someone that really appreciates it.” -Okan Yilmaz, MSc Finance & Investments 2010