Proficiency in English
You should be able to demonstrate your proficiency in English by submitting the official results of either a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test. Your test results must be less than two years old.
TOEFL and IELTS exam results can be verified by the IBA Admissions Office online if you have given the RSM permission to access your score. Please do so! The RSM institutional code of TOEFL is 7199. However, since the TOEFL and IELTS scores are sent to us in batches, this may delay the processing of your application. In order to expedite matters, applicants are expected to upload their certificate via the IBA Online Application system and also provide us with their TOEFL/IELTS login details so we can verify your scores online.
Your application may be put on hold if you do not include your test result for TOEFL or IELTS. However, you can send us your application first and complete your application package later with the results of your English language exam. Please note though that your result must be submitted no later than 1 May. If you have not yet taken the English language exam, please indicate the planned exam date (no later than 1 May) on your application form. All documents must be uploaded and submitted by 1 May at the latest.
If you still need to take an English language exam, please take into account that the available places for the test dates can fill up quickly, particularly during peak testing periods, so we urge you to register early as we require your exam result by 1 May!
Required scores are:
- For IELTS (Academic): 6.0 or higher total score, as well as 6.0 or higher on each of the four subscores;
- For TOEFL (internet-based only): a total score of 80 or higher and each of the four subscores should be a minimum of 20.
The Institutional TOEFL (ITP) and the English entrance examination (colloquium doctum) offered by Erasmus University are not accepted.
Exemptions from English test
You are exempt from taking an English language exam if:
- English is part of your final exam of the following diplomas: Dutch VWO, Belgian ASO (in the Flemish-speaking part of Belgium), German Abitur, Norwegian Vitnemal, Swedish Slutbetyg, Finnish Ylioppilastuskintotodistus, Icelandic (Studentprof, Danish Studentereksamen, the Swiss Maturität (in the German speaking part of Switzerland), Austrian Maturazeugnis, French Option Internationale du Baccalauréat (Anglo-American section), International Baccalaureate (A HL or SL, B HL), European Baccalaureate (3 hours minimum), UK O-level (English first language) and your grade is at least at the level indicated in the overview of selection criteria per diploma;
- you are a native English speaker from USA, UK, Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa;
- you have been taught in English for at least two and a half years during your secondary school programme in one of the following countries: USA, Canada (with the exception of Quebec), Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales or South Africa.
All other applicants are required to present the results of a TOEFL or IELTS exam.