RSM’s New Business Development programme consists out of eight evening sessions that lead you to the ability to integrate innovative activities or products and create a strategic direction for these new business developments. The sessions cover all relevant topics on new business development and are followed by a presentation session, in which participants will defend their project assignments. The programme concludes with a graduation ceremony during which Prof. Henk Volberda will give a closing lecture on the business model innovation scan.
Strategic thinking and disruptive innovation
This lecture is led by Prof. Jan van den Ende and will focus on:
- defining new business development
- successes and failures
- strategy models in new business development
- the innovator’s dilemma
- barriers for disruptive innovation and possible solutions.
Business model rejuvenation
This lecture is led by Prof. Paul Iske and will focus on:
- agility and resilience
- business model
- business model innovation
- combinatoric innovation.
Creativity and value proposition CANVAS
This lecture is led by Dr Daan Stam and Dr Ferdinand Jaspers, and will focus on:
- creativity defined
- methods enhancing creativity
- value proposition CANVAS development
- customer discovery
- discovery-driven planning.
Market learning and big data
This lecture is led by Dr Dimitrios Tsekouras and will focus on:
- when to involve customers in business development
- online experiments
- outcome-based customer interviews
- product evaluation and observational learning
- co-creation and crowdsourcing
- big data and market analytics.
This lecture is led by Dr Vareska van de Vrande and will focus on:
- open innovation, a new paradigm
- benefits and drawbacks of open innovation
- open innovation in large and small firms
- effective and efficient collaboration with partners.
Organisational embedding of business development function
This lecture is led by Dr Floortje Blindenbach-Driessen and will focus on:
- innovation value chain
- context dependencies relevant for embedding business development
- traditional and alternative models for business development.
Financial and portfolio management
This lecture is led by Dr Murat Tarakci and will focus on:
- assessing value of innovation projects
- innovations as real options
- strategic buckets
- crafting an innovation portfolio.
Frugal innovation and leadership in business development
This lecture is led by Prof. Jan van den Ende and Dr Daan Stam, and will focus on:
- innovation for emerging economies
- reverse innovation
- the case of Siemens in China
- best practices in leadership
- transformational versus transactional leadership
- leadership and followership
- leadership and disruptive innovation.