Rules and Regulations
Rules and Regulations
The following rules apply if you use the computer rooms and network. Violation of these rules means suspension of your network and e-mail account for at least one week depending on the nature of the violation; such at the discretion of the Coordinator Support of the BIT-department. These rules are laid down in an official (legal) document: "Reglement voor het gebruik van computerfaciliteiten van de Faculteit der Bedrijfskunde". You are responsible for your login name/password for the computer rooms.
- You are NOT allowed to give anyone opportunity or means to make use of your login name, even when you are on a coffee break, fetching your printouts etc.
- If a computer room is reserved, you are NOT allowed to enter the room. Computer rooms are primarily for educational purposes, only when a room is not in use students can make use of the them.
- You are NOT allowed to install/use your own software. You are only allowed to use software in the computer rooms, which is installed by BIT.
- You are NOT allowed to eat or drink or smoke in the computer rooms. This causes the equipment to malfunction and it pollutes the labs!
- You are NOT allowed to open the casing of the equipment or damage it in any way. This includes all hardware in the computer rooms.
- You are NOT allowed to try to gain access to computer systems you have not been permitted access to.
- Do not try to gain entry to computers on the network if you have not been given specific permission (a user account and password) to access or use this system.
- Do NOT try to access a mailbox or homedirectory of another user.
- Do NOT make use of a user account and password which is not yours.
- You are NOT allowed to connect a device to the network without registration at the helpdesk. If you want to use any of the plugin-points, you should have you ethernet card registered at the helpdesk first.
- You are NOT allowed to send spam mails.
- You are NOT allowed to set, spoof, fake or change IP addresses on computers that are connected to the network. Do not try to hide your identity when working in the computer rooms. You will probably not succeed and when found out, you will loose your account and/or means of access to the network.
- You are NOT allowed to change or fake your true email address. Again, do not try to hide your identity. If you want to send email to someone, let him/her know who you are.
- You are NOT allowed to play (computer- or Internet-) games. The computer rooms are meant to be used for study purposes. If you play games you take the place of another student who wants to do serious work.
- You are NOT allowed to log out computers where other students are working on, even if the computer is not used at the time.
- You are NOT allowed to use foul language or to harras other people. Not in person and NOT by any other means of communication such as email, netnews or any other means. You are NOT allowed to use any of the provided services for commercial, business or idealistic activities. Do not try to use the network to sell services or objects.
- When asked you are required to show your student card (college kaart) at any time and immediately. If the support staff asks you to show your student card for identification you must do so right away. Always keep your student card with you. Without your student card use of the computer rooms and /or the network is not allowed.
- Computer rooms are for RSM students only.
- The computer rooms and network services may be used only by authorized staff, faculty and students of RSM Erasmus University (RSM) and others with specific written authorization from the computer department of the RSM.
- Never turn off the pc! If you turn off the pc it takes a while before the pc has started up again. This is annoying for everyone who would like to use it when you are finished.
- You are responsible for your own data. No backups are made of your personal data on the network. Be sure to keep a copy of your data on a USB-key if you want to be able to restore your data after a network failure.
- You are responsible for items borrowed from the helpdesk. If any item you borrow from the helpdesk gets lost or stolen, you will be charged for it. If you do not return borrowed items within the agreed time period the items will be reported stolen.
- For performance, analysis and security reasons activities may be logged.
- You can take a break from the computer room for a maximum of 30 minutes. After 30 minutes the computer will be available to other students.
Please help us to keep the computer rooms clean and in working order. Respect the rules mentioned above and report malpractice, malfunctions or problems to the helpdesk at your earliest convenience.