RSM BV offers an environment where you are encouraged to embrace change as a challenge to help the organisation reach its goals and those of its students, participants and clients. The work atmosphere at RSM BV is informal and communication lines are short. RSM BV operates as an independent and commercial company within Erasmus University Rotterdam, which makes the situation complex and challenging at times. At the same time the company itself is small enough to maintain personal contacts and be able to have an overview of what’s going on throughout the organisation. The environment is culturally diverse and very international.
RSM BV is located in a pleasant and relatively small office at Woudestein campus in Rotterdam. It’s a lively environment, with students, staff and different companies and restaurants. The office is easy to reach by public transport as well as by car.
The Innovation and IT (I&I) department at Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM) is the primary IT and innovation partner, within the commercial part of RSM. Aim of the I&I department is to accelerate the primary process of the organisation – education, and its many supporting functions, like marketing and sales – with ICT facilities and innovations. The I&I department is a relatively small team of about 10 colleagues. The I&I team can be characterised as customer oriented, ambitious, informal and collaborative.
As IT Service Manager, you will spend about 40% of your time on operational activities being a member of the IT Front Office. The other 60% of your time will be spent on communication with business on service requests/delivery, continuous improvement of our processes and ITSM tool and planning/coordination of our pool of 5 Student Assistants. You will work closely with the IT Service Engineer, Infrastructure Manager, IT Specialist, Application Managers CRM, Business Consultants and other staff.
To be successful in this position, you will need to have the following knowledge, expertise or skills.
In addition to this professional knowledge, we are looking for a meticulous, customer-friendly colleague with a 'getting things done mentality’. You are able to work independently, you are a team player and you perform well when work pressure gets high. You can take initiative, make contact with others easily, and possess the necessary social assertiveness. You are willing to occasionally take part in onsite and on-call support of courses on Friday evening and Saturdays. In connection with the international character of our team, an excellent command of English is a must.
We offer an ambitious, international and dynamic environment, in which we compete with the top business schools in Europe. You will be part of a close, innovation-driven team on a vibrant university campus. Your ambition and personal drive will be greatly valued and we invest in personal development. We make sure you feel good about yourself, that you enjoy your work and that you grow in your profession.
You will also get:
Would you first like to learn more about the position or about RSM BV? Please contact Albert de Bree, IT Director,at RSM BV via email@example.com.
If you see yourself as a person who thrives by working in a innovating, stimulating, international and growing environment and you recognize yourself as a qualified candidate for this vacancy, please click on the application button on this page and send your CV and covering letter (in English) to Ms. Kirsten Vos, HR Officer, Rotterdam School of Management BV, Erasmus University.
Closing date Friday 10 February, 2023
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM) is an equal opportunity employer and explicitly encourages applications from candidates of all genders, ethnicities and nationalities.
At RSM we value internal mobility there for internal candidates are strongly encouraged to apply and preference will be given to internal candidates.
Acquisition is not appreciated.