As HR Business Partner at the Rotterdam School of Management (RSM), Erasmus University's Business School and largest faculty, you can make a real difference. Your goal is to provide strategic and tactical HR support and guidance to the management team, helping to bring leadership and HR support to a higher level. You will lead HR projects and ensure proper implementation, as well as provide excellent advice and support to managers and employees alike. In this role, you will work closely with the organization's leadership team to help drive business performance and support the development of our leaders.
Your main tasks
As an HR Business Partner you are a senior sparring partner and sounding board for the management of the faculty. You will think along with management to offer an integrated approach to business issues. Together with the HR team, you lift HR policy to a higher level and you actively signal developments.
Important themes in the coming period are: Leadership Development, Employee wellbeing, diversification of career paths and strategic workforce planning. Specific attention will be devoted to the creation of a healthy and safe working environment and the reduction of work pressure.
RSM is the only faculty to have its own HR department. This department wants to develop further in the coming years and profile itself as an outstanding HR department. The ambition and strategic vision for the Erasmus University as a whole is to become a "Great place to work". HR at RSM has - underlying the Erasmus University (EUR) vision and the Rotterdam School of Management strategy - developing an ambitious HR agenda to realize this. Our new HR Business Partner will have an important role in this.
- Rotterdam School of Management and the EUR have a clear vision. You translate the faculty strategy within the framework of the university strategy into concrete HR plans for your work area. You do this by participating in organization-wide working groups, and by actively acting as a discussion partner at management team level;
- You coach, advise and support executives in the fulfilment of their HR tasks, in culture change and organizational development, in team and leadership development;
- You will lead and ensure for the implementation of HR projects;
- You will identify changes in the needs of employees and the organization, and encourage for a healthy & safe work environment where employees can develop and function optimally and promote a good work/life balance;
- You take initiative to improve HR Policies, HR processes, tools and information, and ensure that employees and managers use them.
You will be part of the RSM HR Team consisting of 8 professionals; an HR Director, two HR Business Partners and five HR Officers. You also work closely with the EUR HR policy and specialist teams. Together we support RSM tactically and strategically with the optimal deployment and development of employees.
You will report to the HR Director of RSM, where you will be the HR Business Partner for a set of departments across the organization.
RSM is a dynamic and strongly internationally oriented organization. In total there are about 650 employees, the majority of whom work in the academic departments. We have a public entity, and also a private entity where, for example, we offer our MBA programs. You will be working in the public entity.
You are an independent, results-oriented, confident and experienced HR Business Partner who has the Erasmian Values close to heart. You can navigate between different "levels": both with managers on the shop floor and with the our executive leaders. You are an honest, strategic conversation partner. In addition to the ability to build a relationship of trust, you have the guts to hold up a mirror to your conversation partners and to look ahead and include them in upcoming developments.
Your required competencies
You further have:
- Academic work- and thinking ability; preferably you have an academic degree in the field of Business Administration, Strategic HRM and/or appropriate masters;
- Minimum of 8 years of work experience as an HR Business Partner or HR Manager in an organization(s) with a size of minimal 200-400 employees;
- Experience in an International environment;
- You have broad HR knowledge and you are well aware of trends and (technical) developments in the field of HR;
- You have proven experience with policy development and implementation, and major change projects and organizational development initiatives;
- You are fluent in the Dutch and English language in word and writing (English: C1 level);
- You use data to proactively act.
Previous experience in a (managerial) role, at a (semi-)government organization or with the development and application of HR dashboards, HR analytics and Strategic Workforce Planning is a plus.
- Integrity and reliability: above all, you are a partner of integrity and reliability, on whom the faculty can rely.
- Organizational sensitivity; you have quick insight and understanding of the formal and informal relationships of authority, how decisions are made, how people work together and what the expectations of the organization are. You have a good sense of and respect for relationships, without being intimidated by hierarchical differences. You are aware of faculty interests in your actions and seek to balance them with university interests when necessary;
- Proactive approach; you show initiative, anticipate opportunities and threats and act in a forward-looking manner;
- Result-oriented: you are able to clearly formulate a change assignment, the final goal and the road towards it and to manage it well. You are goal- and result-oriented on the one hand, and sociable and enthusiastic on the other.
The position is a fulltime position (0,9-1 FTE), with an initial one year contract. The intend is to make this permanent after one year upon successful performance.
As we are on a growth path with our team - you will have opportunity to shape your role and bring in your ideas! You will become part of a great and supportive team. We also like to have fun 😊
You will have the opportunity to choose how you wish to work. Fully at the University or partly from home. In a structured working pattern, or more flexible. We will support what works best for you, we just ask for aligning with our team & that you are available to our business and leaders upon need. We like to focus on the outcomes.
An internationally oriented and varied job in an enthusiastic team, with excellent working conditions in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU).
The salary depends on your knowledge and experience and with a full-time appointment amounts to between € 4,814 and € 6,181 gross per month (scale 12), in accordance with the CAO-NU. In addition, we offer 8% vacation allowance, a year-end bonus of 8.3% and a very generous leave scheme. Furthermore, the EUR is affiliated with ABP for pension provision and we offer partially paid parental leave, fully paid additional birth leave for partners, a discount on our collective health insurance and a personal career budget. As an employee you can also use EUR facilities such as the University Library and you get a discount on a subscription to the Erasmus Sports Center.
Erasmus University Rotterdam aims to be an equitable and inclusive community. We foster an open culture where everyone is supported to reach their full potential. We view inclusiveness of talent as the foundation of our successes and the diversity of perspectives and individuals as a highly valuable outcome of this. EUR offers equal opportunities to all employees and applicants, regardless of gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, employment disability, citizenship or any other aspect that makes them unique. We hope to meet you in our community.
In this role you can further grow in your seniority as HR Partner and prepare for the next step in your career. The international and dynamic environment of RSM will give your key experiences to further develop your skillset. We like to support your growth and welcome you in taking the lead in proposing on how we can support you in that – in learning experiences or more formal educational opportunities.
In case you have questions, a wish for additional information or would like to discuss your candidacy , then please reach out to the RSM HR Director, Hiske Meerman via firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can submit your application latest the 1st of June 2023 by applying via the portal and submitting both your CV and your motivational letter.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM) is one of Europe’s top-ranked business schools. RSM provides ground-breaking research and education furthering excellence in all aspects of management and is based in the international port city of Rotterdam – a vital nexus of business, logistics and trade. RSM’s primary focus is on developing business leaders with international careers who can become a force for positive change by carrying their innovative mindset into a sustainable future. Our first-class range of bachelor, master, MBA, PhD and executive programmes encourage them to become critical, creative, caring and collaborative thinkers and doers. Study information and activities for future students, executives and alumni are also organised from the RSM office in Chengdu, China. www.rsm.nl
RSM is an equal opportunity employer and explicitly encourages applications from candidates of all genders, ethnicities, and nationalities.