Are you ready for a role that will help to create the future of finance? You’ll join a dynamic and international department of dedicated educators and ambitious academics in a department that engages in top quality research and hosts specialised conferences and seminars. Education and research focus on positive change that enables people and organisations to thrive; RSM’s finance programmes and courses for bachelor, master and executive students address topics at the cutting edge of the field of finance, including sustainable finance and climate risk, corporate finance, asset management, credit risk, financial innovation, FinTech, entrepreneurial finance and corporate governance.
In RSM’s department of Finance we conduct world-class research in all areas of finance. We are responsible for a very successful MSc programme in Finance and Investments, ranked by the Financial Times. The department also contributes to the school’s undergraduate, MBA and PhD programmes and to the MSc in Business Analytics & Management. Our faculty regularly publishes in the top journals in the field, such as Journal of Finance, Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Finance, Management Science and Journal of Monetary Economics. We cooperate with the Erasmus School of Economics by having, e.g., joint seminar series. We regularly host impactful events, such as the Conference in Professional Asset Management and the Liquidity Conference.
You’re now invited to apply for one of our two newest faculty positions at Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM) as tenure track assistant professor in the department of Finance, starting on September 1, 2023.
We are also inviting seasoned assistant professors to apply. Depending on your qualifications, we can also discuss joining the team at the associate professor level.
Your main tasks
In our department, you will:
- Conduct research of high quality to be submitted to top journals in the field (Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Financial Studies, JFQA and Review of Finance), management (Management Science) or economics.
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences, supported by a personal research budget.
- Build an international network and gain visibility in the field.
- Develop teaching skills by obtaining a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) during the first three years of the tenure track.
- Engage in teaching innovation and teach courses in our bachelor and master programmes.
- Teach in executive education (MBA, Executive MBA, open and custom programmes) in the second half of the tenure track.
- Contribute to a collegial atmosphere in the department and take new initiatives.
- Engage with RSM’s mission to be a force for positive change in the world.
We’re interested in you if you possess:
- A PhD in Finance, or if you’re in the final year of your PhD study
- Demonstrate the potential for outstanding achievements in research and teaching.
- A good command of the English language.
- A strong commitment to high-quality research as well as evidence of ability to conduct impactful work and to publish in top finance journals.
- The ability to contribute to the department’s teaching activities at bachelor, master and MBA level.
Your required competences
- An inspired, ambitious, and competent researcher, with a strong commitment to high-quality research
- Enthusiastic about teaching, and an able presenter
- Familiar with online education platforms and with techniques for inspiring successful blended learning
- Possess strong English language skills at C1 level, in both writing and speaking
- Well-developed analytical, communication and social competences.
A tenure track assistant professor position with a tenure decision after six years. Tenure decisions are based on individual performance. This is a full-time position (1.0 FTE) with a contract for 38 hours per week.
The conditions of employment comply with the collective labour agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU). Salary is subject to training and experience and may vary: for an Assistant professor position from a minimum of € 3,974 gross per month (scale 11 CAO NU) and up to a maximum of € 6,181 gross per month (scale 12 CAO NU), and for an Associate professor position from a minimum of € 5,506 gross per month (scale 13 CAO NU) and up to a maximum of € 7,362 gross per month (scale 14 CAO NU), based on a full-time contract of 38 hours. Favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants. Erasmus University Rotterdam has attractive employment conditions, which include a holiday allowance of 8%, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% and a generous number of vacation days.
EUR offers all employees an annual personal career budget which can be used to advance your skills and competences. There are lots of training, development, and coaching opportunities at EUR too.
RSM has a dedicated Learning Innovation Team, which supports faculty members in improving and innovating their courses and programmes.
RSM’s department of Finance has access to excellent facilities, including most major databases (WRDS, CRSP, Compustat, Eikon, Bloomberg, I/B/E/S, Thomson One Banker, TAQ, etc.) and a modern building. Rotterdam is a pleasant and lively harbour city with 625,000 inhabitants in the west of the Netherlands that provides attractive living conditions for international faculty. English is widely spoken in the city, and air, road, and railway connections with major European and U.S. cities are excellent. The standards of healthcare and education in the Netherlands are high, while the costs are low relative to Anglo-Saxon countries.
Are you interested in joining the Department of Finance? Be sure to formally apply for this vacancy before Wednesday, 30 November 2022 by uploading your complete application package through the ' apply' button.
Your application should include:
- cover letter (in English)
- recent CV
- a job market paper
- a research statement and a teaching statement
- teaching evaluations (if available)
- At least three reference letters (letters without letter head and signature will not be considered).
Although we’re accepting applications until the two positions are filled, we will start inviting candidates for online interviews within two weeks after the application deadline. Fly-outs are expected to take place as of mid-January 2023 (on campus in Rotterdam).
For questions about the position, please contact Professor Marno Verbeek (firstname.lastname@example.org).
More information about the Privacy Statement Erasmus University Rotterdam can be found on https://www.eur.nl/en/disclaimer/privacy-statement.
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University is an equal opportunity employer and explicitly encourages applications from candidates of all genders, ethnicities, and nationalities.
Acquisition is not appreciated.
The Department of Finance at the Rotterdam School of Management (RSM Finance) has a large international faculty educated at renowned institutions in Europe, the U.S., and Asia. The group has a strong research tradition, as evidenced by publications in top journals, an active Ph.D. program, and research visits to leading U.S. schools.
RSM Finance is part of the Erasmus Finance Group, which also includes the faculty of the Erasmus School of Economics. Erasmus Finance runs a regular seminar series with speakers from top international schools, a separate brown bag seminar, several annual conferences, and a visitor program with eminent finance scholars. Erasmus Finance is supported by the Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM) through extensive research support to our faculty.
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM) is one of Europe’s top-ranked business schools. RSM provides ground-breaking research and education furthering excellence in all aspects of management and is based in the international port city of Rotterdam – a vital nexus of business, logistics and trade. RSM’s primary focus is on developing business leaders with international careers who can become a force for positive change by carrying their innovative mindset into a sustainable future. Our first-class range of bachelor, master, MBA, PhD and executive programmes encourage them to become critical, creative, caring and collaborative thinkers and doers. Study information and activities for future students, executives and alumni are also organised from the RSM office in Chengdu, China. www.rsm.nl
RSM is a faculty of Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR). EUR is an internationally oriented university with a strong social orientation in its education and research. Our scientists and students work in close collaboration with internal and external parties to solve global, social challenges, inspired by the always dynamic and cosmopolitan Rotterdam. Our mission is therefore "Creating positive societal impact". Our academic education is intensive, active and application-oriented. Our research increasingly takes place in multidisciplinary teams, which are strongly intertwined with international networks. With our research impact and thanks to the high quality of education, EUR can compete with the top European universities. The Erasmian values function as our internal compass and make Erasmus University recognizable to the outside world: engaged with society, world citizen, connecting, entrepreneurial and open-minded. www.eur.nl