Binding Study Advice

Binding Study Advice

On this page you will find information about the Binding Study Advice (BSA) and related topics such as resits, compensation rule, situations in which you can contact the student advisors and what to do if you want to quit your studies by the 1st of February. At the bottom of the page you will find the most frequently asked questions (FAQ's) about the BSA.

Monitoring study progress Bachelor 1

The RSM Examination Board monitors the study progress of the RSM Bachelor students. During the first year of enrolment, the Examination Board issues on three occasions (after block 1, 2 and 3) a provisional recommendation regarding continuation of studies (based on the number of passed courses). 

The Binding Study Advice implies that students need to pass all their first year courses (60 EC) in their first year of enrolment (see Examination Regulations, Section 9).

! Attention: BSA-standard lowered for first year students of year group (cohort) 2020-2021!

On January 14th 2021 the universities jointly decided to lower the BSA-standard that applies to the current first-year students of the BSc programme International Business Administration (BScIBA). It has been agreed that the measure will lead to a decrease in the BSA standard of at least 10% and a maximum of 15%.

As a result of this decision RSM has decided to lower the BSA-standard from 60 EC to 51 EC (15%).

In doing so the following conditions apply:

  1. This measure applies to students who started the IBA programme in the academic year 2020-2021.
  2. The compensation rule of the programme, as described in article 6.1 (paragraph 2) RR, remains intact.
  3. The hardship exemption of the programme, as described in article 9.4, (paragraph 1) TER, remains intact.
  4. Examination parts that were not passed (excluding the part that falls under the compensation rule) have to be passed at a later stage.
  5. Students who received a postponed Binding Study Advice in the academic year 2019-2020 due to Covid-19, still need to meet the regular BSA-standard of 60 EC by 31 August 2021.

This means that students from year group (cohort) 2020-2021 who will have obtained 51 EC or more by the end of the academic year 2020-2021, will receive a positive Binding Study Advice.

Lowering the BSA standard does NOT mean that the requirements for applying for Exchange, Internship or Minor will be adapted too (see e.g. article 3.4 TER).

When it is not clear what this new BSA-standard means for you, please contact the student advisers via email:

The definitive binding study advice letter with the final decision of the Examination Board will be sent to all (enrolled) Bachelor 1 students by the end of August. The student receives a negative binding study advice if the BSA requirement is not met prior to the start of the new academic year (1 September). A negative binding study advice for the IBA programme means that a student is not allowed to enrol (and will NOT be selected) for IBA for a period of three academic years.


During the first year, you are allowed to re-sit all courses. 

Compensation rule Bachelor 1

The compensation rule means that students can compensate ONE insufficient Bachelor 1 course grade (that has been registered in Osiris) if they meet the following conditions:

  • You have passed ALL other Bachelor 1 courses - except for this one course you would like to compensate. The final (overall) grade of the course you want to compensate is between 4,5 and 5,4;
  • You have at least one rounded 7 (6,5 or higher) on your bachelor 1 grade list. This can be any course, regardless of the amount of credits (EC) of that course;
  • You are a first (or second*) year bachelor student. 

*The compensation rule also applies to second year bachelor students who still have to obtain 1 or 2 courses of their 1st bachelor year due to personal circumstances or because the hardship clause has been taken into account when issuing the final Binding Study Advice.

If you are eligible to compensate one Bachelor 1 course then you do not need to take any further action; the compensation will appear automatically in Osiris in August after all Bachelor 1 re-sit grades have been processed in Osiris.
The actual compensated grade (4,5 - 5,4) will appear on your final Bachelor graduation grade overview. This grade and the corresponding EC will count towards your overall GPA.

When do I contact the student adviser?

Our student advisers provide the students professional help, advice and guidance during the studies at RSM. You can contact the student adviser for several reasons, for example regarding:

  • Doubts about your choice of study
  • Your study methods and planning skills. How to prevent (possible) study delay,
  • Disappointing study results so far,
  • Personal circumstances (illness, family matters etc.) that affect your study performance.

Students with insufficient study results are urged after each exam period for to meet with the student adviser. In the case of personal circumstances, the student must inform the student adviser within four weeks of the commencement of the circumstances but no later than the 1st of July. For more detailed info about the student advisers, their contact info and availability, please click here.

The student advisers have a preparatory and mediating role concerning the statutory required advice at the end of the first year with regard to the Binding Study Advice (BSA). 

Necessary steps to take when you want to quit with the IBA programme

In the case that you have decided to quit with the IBA programme - this can have various reasons, for example due to poor study results, difference choice of study programme, etcetera., please complete the necessary steps listed below with regard to your IBA de-registration.

If you would like to discuss your de-registration more in detail, please contact the student adviser.  Click here to view the contact info and availability of the IBA student advisers.

  • Step 2: De-register for the IBA programme through Studielink and request of a (partly) refund of your tuition fee (if applicable). Click here for more detailed info with regard to de-registration through Studielink and refund of tuition fees and consequences for your study grant and OV-travel-card from DUO (if applicable).

If you de-register before 1 February during your first year of study after receiving a negative Provisional Study Advice (sent in December), you will not be issued a negative Binding Study Advice. 

Leaving the Netherlands? Deregister yourself at City Hall 

When you leave the Netherlands, you have to deregister at City Hall. It is recommended to deregister yourself a month before leaving the Netherlands. If you live outside of Rotterdam, you should contact your local City Hall for information about arranging your deregistration. More information about (de)registration at City Hall can be found on this webpage of the EUR or City Hall.

 Frequently asked questions (FAQ's)