Managing employees’ perceptions and behaviours is considered one of the main managerial challenges as organisations go to great lengths to understand what drives their employees and how to influence this. Organisational Identity is about “who we are” or “who we want to be” as an organisation. It instigates teamwork and collective action, stimulates loyalty and commitment from employees, strengthens organizational identification and is fundamental in realising sustainable organisational change.
With this Master Class we zoom in on the concept of Organisational Identity, its theoretical underpinnings, related concepts and practical implications. It shows why organisations should pay attention to their organisational identity, and how it can be effectively applied to different stakeholders.
The core issues in this Master Class are:
- What is organisational identity and why does it matter?;
- Its related concepts of perceived and projected identity, image and identification;
- Strengthening employees’ identification with their organisation through the organisational identity;
- Identity gaps: the impact of incongruences between the different concepts;
- Organisational identity: construction, continuity and change;
- Identity expressions: development of a corporate story.