What messages break through in today's 24/7 and cluttered communication environment? Which ones are better remembered? What are effective principles of persuasive communication in an online setting? Successful communication depends not only on what is said, but also how it is said.
In this three-day programme, you get answers to such questions and learn practical skills around A/B testing, neuromarketing and message design that you can immediately put into use in practice. The course features the latest insights from the science of persuasion from the fields of psychology, marketing and linguistics, with contributions from world-leading faculty members and experts such as Bart Schutz, Kevin Murray and professor Gui Liberali.
The programme consists of lectures, interactive group sessions, and practical sessions where you will be trained in applying persuasion techniques yourself.
- Theoretical foundations of persuasion
- A framework for messaging techniques
- Workshop on persuasive body language
- Persuasive principles in digital settings
- In-class exercise
- Experimental online methods such as A/B testing and website morphing
- Practical insights from psychology
- Case study
- Neuromarketing in practice
- Persuasive leaders
- Inspirational communication
- Language of leaders
By participating, you will:
- gain an in-depth understanding of persuasion theory from the fields of psychology, digital marketing and linguistics, based on research
- become familiar with persuasive language and body language
- acquire practical skills regarding key persuasion techniques such as framing, priming and rhetoric, in terms of when and how best to use them in a range of different settings ranging from CEO speeches to online marketing platforms
- learn how to design messages using neuromarketing and A/B testing techniques, and roll them out as part of a multi-channel strategy
- learn how persuasive techniques are used by leaders, and how smart leaders have developed their communications skills
This three-day course is for professionals with an interest or background in:
- Corporate communication, both internal and external
It is recommended to have a minimum of 3,5 years of work experience.
Joep Cornelissen is a Professor of Corporate Communication & Management and Academic Director of the MScCC programme. He will present the theoretical concepts and foundations of persuasive communication. He also leads the persuasive body language workshop on the first day of the course.
Gui Liberali is the Endowed Professor of Digital Marketing at RSM. He holds a doctorate in marketing and a B.Sc. in computer science. His work has appeared on Marketing Science, Management Science, International Journal of Marketing Research, Sloan Management Review, and European Journal of Operational Research.
His research interests include optimal learning, multi-armed bandits, digital experimentation, natural language processing, morphing theory and applications (e.g., website morphing, ad morphing), dynamic programming, machine learning, and product line optimisation.
He will teach on the second day of this course with an emphasis on experimental online methods, such as A/B testing and website morphing.
Bart Schutz is a world-renowned persuasion expert with a background in psychology, and Chief Psychology Officer at Online Dialogue.
He has academic, strategic and pragmatic experience in digitally growing businesses by combining insights from psychology with data analysis. He regularly blogs and provides inspiring keynotes, while traveling all over the world to share online consumer insights to businesses and organisations.
He has an established consultancy career where he advises businesses on how to optimally design their websites and online applications. Among his clients have been corporations such as Booking.com, ABN Amro, RTL, Rabobank and Telfort.
He will teach online persuasion principles on the first day.
Kevin Murray is a former journalist, publisher, marketing director, communications and PR director, business CEO and Chairman.
Kevin is author of three business books – “People with Purpose”, ”The Language of Leaders” , and “Communicate to Inspire” . People with Purpose was published in February 2017 and features exclusive interviews with CEO’s, neuroscientists, and psychologists and gives every leader an insight in to how to use purpose to encourage super performance.
He has interviewed more than 100 CEO’s and has conducted exclusive poles among 3000 managers and 6000 employees on what are truly motivational behaviours. He speaks at conferences and leadership events around the world, and does exclusive leadership coaching.
He will teach persuasive leadership and the language of great leaders on the third day.
Martin Kersbergen is Chief Brand Officer at DELA, and an alumnus from RSM's Executive Master of Science in Corporate Communication.
He has received numerous awards for excellence, innovation, creativity and online strategy, such as:
- Shell Award for Excellence in Corporate Communication
Cannes Lions Grand Prix for Best Integrated Campaign
Special Achievement Award, in recognition of excellence in reputation measurement and management.
He will present a case on practical neuromarketing and share relevant insights and findings on this subject.
25-27 September 2018
09:30 - 17:00
The course fee: € 2.600,-, includes tuition, course material and lunches
Bayle (J) Building, campus Woudestein
Burgemeester Oudlaan 50
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
If you require hotel accommodation in Rotterdam, we recommend Novotel Rotterdam Brainpark, adjacent to the university.
Cancellations must be received in writing (or e-mail) at email@example.com:
- 45-30 days prior to the start date of the programme: due 25% of programme fee
- 29 – 8 days prior to the start date of the programme: due 60% of programme fee
- 7 days or less prior to the start of the programme: due 100% of programme fee
To receive full refund, the notice of cancellation must be received more than 45 days prior to the start of the programme (a charge of 10% costs is applicable). If the programme is cancelled, liability is limited to the programme fee.
The participant can be substituted by someone from the same organisation on the same course without extra costs.
This course can also be taken as part of RSM's Part-time Executive Master in Corporate Communication, a flexible and accredited master programme for communications professionals. Find out more: