What messages break through in today's 24/7 and cluttered communication environment? Which ones are better remembered? What are effective principles of persuasive communication in an online setting? Successful communication depends not only on what is said, but also how it is said.
In this three-day course, you get answers to such questions and learn practical skills around A/B testing, neuromarketing and message design that you can immediately put into use in practice. The course features the latest insights from the science of persuasion from the fields of psychology, marketing and linguistics, with contributions from world-leading faculty members and experts.
The programme consists of lectures, interactive group sessions, and practical sessions where you will be trained in applying persuasion techniques yourself.
- Theoretical foundations of persuasion
- A framework for messaging techniques
- Workshop on persuasive body language
- Persuasive principles in digital settings
- In-class exercise
- Experimental online methods such as A/B testing and website morphing
- Practical insights from psychology
- Case study
- Neuromarketing in practice
- Persuasive leaders
- Inspirational communication
- Language of leaders
By participating, you will:
- gain an in-depth understanding of persuasion theory from the fields of psychology, digital marketing and linguistics, based on research
- become familiar with persuasive language and body language
- acquire practical skills regarding key persuasion techniques such as framing, priming and rhetoric, in terms of when and how best to use them in a range of different settings ranging from CEO speeches to online marketing platforms
- learn how to design messages using neuromarketing and A/B testing techniques, and roll them out as part of a multi-channel strategy
- learn how persuasive techniques are used by leaders, and how smart leaders have developed their communications skills
This three-day course is for professionals with an interest or background in:
- Corporate communication, both internal and external
It is recommended to have a minimum of 3,5 years of work experience.
Joep Cornelissen is Professor of Corporate Communication and Management at the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University. The main focus of his research involves studies of the role of corporate and managerial communication in the context of innovation, entrepreneurship and change, and of social evaluations of the legitimacy and reputation of start-up and established firms. In addition, he also has an interest in questions of scientific reasoning and theory development in management and organisation theory.
His work has been published in the Academy of Management Review, Journal of Management Studies, Organisation Science and Organisation Studies, and he has written a general text on corporate communication (Corporate Communication: A Guide to Theory and Practice, Sage Publications) which is now in its fourth edition. He is an Associate Editor for the Academy of Management Review, a Council member of the Society for the Advancement of Management Studies, a former General Editor of the Journal of Management Studies (2006- 2012) and serves on the editorial boards of the Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies and Organisation Studies.
22, 23 and 28 September 2020
09:30 - 17:00
The course fee: € 2.650,-, includes tuition and course material.
To receive a full refund, a written notice of cancellation must be send to firstname.lastname@example.org within a term of thirty (30) calendar days after receipt of the written confirmation of the registration, unless the start date of the course programme is within the term.
Accordingly, the cancellation fee is calculated as follows:
- 25% of the programme fee if the cancellation notice is received 30 days or more before the start date;
- 75% of the programme fee if the cancellation notice is received between 29 and 15 days before the start date;
- 100% of the programme fee if the cancellation notice is received 14 days or less before the start date;
- 100% of the programme fee if the cancellation notice is received after the programme has started.
For more details, please view here the complete General Terms and Conditions.
The participant can be substituted by someone from the same organisation on the same course without extra costs.
This course can also be taken as part of RSM's Part-time Executive Master in Corporate Communication, a flexible and accredited master programme for communications professionals. Find out more: