Effective Negotiating Skills
Effective Negotiating Skills
How do you negotiate for the best results? Our three-day programme Effective Negotiating Skills provides you with the essential negotiation knowledge and skills you need to negotiate effectively in business.
Even when a deal is not optimal for all parties, a negotiator often still focuses on haggling over the price. But under financial constraints, even the most effective negotiator strives to achieve integral deals to meet everyone’s business needs, and deliver real value rather than just a good price. This approach builds effective business relationships and respect, and the key words are ‘needs’, ‘value’, and ‘relationship’, or in short NVR.
Business change and training specialist Paul Hazell will lead you through this intensive and practical workshop, developed by RSM Executive Education, to boost your negotiation skills. You will explore how you can find alignment when negotiating integral deals, identify how to improve your styles and negotiation techniques, and practise in simulated negotiating scenarios to build your confidence in the NVR approach.
During the programme, you will:
- acquire practical skills to prepare and plan for negotiations by applying seven fundamental concepts of principled negotiation
- develop a thorough understanding of each phase of negotiation, and the tactics and behaviours for successful negotiations
- learn how to deal with ‘dirty tactics’
- discover the strengths and weaknesses of your own negotiation techniques and style, and learn which skills you can improve for even better results in internal and external negotiations
- improve your confidence in communicating successfully using verbal, vocal and visual channels of communication
- learn how to apply all these skills to effectively manage the negotiation process to make progress, build relationships and achieve successful deals.
You will benefit from the Effective Negotiating Skills programme if you are a:
- team manager
- negotiator in sales, business development, procurement, or finance
- professional in a specialist department such as HR, IT or marketing who has to negotiate externally with suppliers or internally with internal clients.
“This programme has helped me to be a more critical listener and to create more balanced deals for both the customer and my company. RSM provides a very balanced mix of theory with practical and realistic cases, helping me to get better acquainted with using different negotiation styles, and become more conscious of factors which can influence the negotiation process. The combination of RSM’s high standards in terms of the programme material, the teacher's professionalism and the fellow students made it a great and inspirational three-day learning experience.”
Martijn Visscher, account director, Adnovate
“Being a first-time founder of a tech start-up after a long career in engineering created new challenges and opportunities to learn new skills. I researched the executive education market and chose RSM as the best school for my needs. Paul Hazell is an excellent teacher, and ‘Effective Negotiating Skills’ is based on practical exercises with plenty of opportunities to learn and have fun. This course instantly changed the way I negotiate with our clients and business partners. I plan to take my next course at RSM very soon.”
Pini Reznik, co-founder and CTO at Container Solutions
“Although I spent a lot of time negotiating, I realised that implementing the strong negotiation framework with key principles, combined with a small change in behaviour, can have a big impact. The case studies and personal feedback during RSM’s Effective Negotiating Skills programme gave me clear insights in my negotiations skills. I also enjoyed the multicultural atmosphere.”
Patrick Claessen, senior participations manager, RWE/Essent
RSM’s Effective Negotiating Skills programme is led by Paul Hazell.
Paul Hazell MEd MCIPD ACIB
Paul Hazell is a business change and training specialist with more than 40 years of work experience, including more than 30 years as a trainer and facilitator, and 20 years as a consultant. He specialises in negotiation skills and executive coaching, and trains managers to coach others for improved performance and business change, to analyse training needs, and to train trainers. Paul has worked in international banking, international trade and corporate finance, and has taught at Management Centre Europe, the Executive Leadership Foundation in Brussels, and Manchester Business School. He has a master degree in training and development from the University of Sheffield.
On this page you will find practical information about the three-day programme Effective Negotiating Skills.
€ 2,400 (excl. 21% VAT)
This fee is including course materials, lunches, and snacks. This fee does not include hotel accommodation.
10% discount for alumni from Erasmus University Rotterdam and RSM. More information about the discount.
Cancellation notices must be received by email: email@example.com. The following cancellation fees apply:
- More than 14 days before the programme’s start date: 25% of the programme fee will be charged
- Between 14 and 7 days before the programme’s start date: 75% of the programme fee will be charged
- 7 days or fewer before the programme’s start date: 100% of the programme fee will be charged
- Cancellations received on or after the programme’s start date: 100% of the programme fee will be charged.
The participant can be substituted by someone from the same company on the same course without extra costs.
General terms and conditions
Please click here to view RSM Executive Education’s general terms and conditions.
The programmes take place at Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University, Bayle Building, Burgemeester Oudlaan 50, Rotterdam.
If you require hotel accommodation in Rotterdam, we recommend Novotel Rotterdam Brainpark, adjacent to the university.