Finance for Engineers
Finance for Engineers
Are you a manager with a quantitative background in engineering or sciences? Grasp the important aspects of finance in this twoday engineering finance programme. You will learn how to read your company’s financial statements, and explore how investment projects and company divisions undergo financial valuation.
Understand the financial impact of decisions
The course, which is based on RSM’s popular Finance for Non-financial Managers programme, provides a foundation in the most widely used financial tools. In two days on campus – plus some online work before and after the course – you will learn the knowledge and insights to deal effectively with financial matters to help turn them into a business advantage.You investigate financial reporting in balance sheets, cash flow and income statements, and how you can use it for decision-making, performance management, business improvements and valuation. In addition to your knowledge of quantitative techniques, you will be able to cover calculations more effectively and practise spreadsheet modelling.
When you have completed this programme, you will be able to:
- explain how the role of finance can influence the overall success of an organisation
- understand the key tools used by financial specialists
- assess the financial performance of your organisation
- interpret and evaluate financial data with your newfound practical skills
- understand how organisations have become global leaders by driving their operational excellence and financial engineering
- utilise your new, practical financial skills to interpret and evaluate financial data.
This programme is suitable for all current and prospective managers in non-financial roles who want to enhance their financial knowledge. It is particularly suitable for those with existing quantitative skills, including:
- engineering (e.g. mechanical, electrical, architectural, chemical, agricultural)
- sciences (e.g. physics, chemistry, statistics, mathematics)
- economics, or econometrics.
Most participants will be educated to bachelor, master or even doctoral level in a field unrelated to finance. As a rule of thumb, if you know how to use exponentials, know the calculus of fractions, have a basic understanding of limits, and can work with MS Excel, then we recommend Finance for Engineers rather than the general Finance for Non-Financial Managers.
Dr Arjen Mulder
is a senior lecturer in corporate finance at RSM. He earned his doctorate in business at Erasmus University Rotterdam, and now teaches corporate finance and financial management in RSM’s full-time MBA and executive education programmes. His research interests are in corporate finance, international finance, international business, and banking. He worked at the Netherlands Economic Institute (now Ecorys) prior to completing his PhD. Arjen set up Finance for Non-Financial Managers in 2010, and has taught it ever since. More than 1,000 managers from all over the world have already attended the programme. The programme is continuously updated, to ensure its relevance over time.
RSM’s two-day Finance for Engineers programme is taught in English, and takes place on Erasmus University’s campus in Rotterdam.
18 - 19 October 2018 > Apply now
€ 2,350 (excl. 21% VAT) including course materials, lunches, and snacks. This fee does not include hotel accommodation.
10% discount for EUR and RSM alumni.
Cancellation notices must be received by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The following cancellation fees apply:
- More than 14 days before the programme’s start date: 25% of the programme fee will be charged
- Between 14 and 7 days before the programme’s start date: 75% of the programme fee will be charged
- 7 days or fewer before the programme’s start date: 100% of the programme fee will be charged
- Cancellations received on or after the programme’s start date: 100% of the programme fee will be charged.
The participant can be substituted by someone from the same company on the same course without extra costs.
General terms and conditions
Please click here to view RSM Executive Education’s general terms and conditions.
The programmes take place at Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University, Bayle Building, Burgemeester Oudlaan 50, Rotterdam.
If you require hotel accommodation in Rotterdam, we recommend Novotel Rotterdam Brainpark, adjacent to the university.