Implemented sustainability measures
- RSM documents and measures the commuting and business travel of employees and students. Students have consistently shown awareness of sustainable travel by their choice of bicycle and public transport. The academic community can show leadership by determining best options for routes to work, meetings, seminars and conferences for cost savings, and low impact on the environment with transportation choices.
- RSM purchases carbon offsets according to the Gold Standard as established by the Climate Neutral Group for all business-related air travel by employees. Since 2011, RSM has compensated for these business trips every year, offsetting some 1,540 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions, equivalent to the CO2 absorption of 77,000 trees.
- Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) offers flexible working hours which can help employees avoid peak travel times and therefore reduce the number of cars emitting CO2 and contributing to delays during rush hour. Employees can obtain departmental approval to adjust their work schedules.
- EUR has introduced a sustainable commuting policy, encouraging the use of public transport and discouraging the use of cars. Employees are offered an allowance for using public transport.
- During Phase 2 of the campus construction project, EUR opened a bicycle repair shop. The shop is available to all students, employees and visitors of Erasmus University. The shop is located in the Tinbergen (H) building HT-046.
- In addition, Phase 2 opened 450 additional bicycle indoor parking spaces on the ground floor of the Mandeville Building. For information related to bicycle travel, Dutch traffic laws, tips for purchasing bicycles go to this webpage.
Envisioned sustainability measures
- Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) states the ambition to be one of the most sustainable universities in the Netherlands. You can read more about its transport and mobility plans, including how it aims to reduce CO₂ emissions by reducing the number of people who drive to the campus. Read more here.
- Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) Strategy 2014-2018 is located here.