Language courses can be followed at any period during your IBA studies at the Language & Training Centre (front office located in the ESSC, located in the main hall of the Sanders building). The LTC offers courses in Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, German (in cooperation with the Goethe Institut), and French (in cooperation with the Alliance Française) at several levels. Each approved language course at LTC lasts 10 weeks (equals 25 in-class hours) and end with a final examination.
In order to use language courses as an elective - and to be eligible for the 5 ECTS - there are a number of requirements that apply:
- You need to successfully complete two levels of the same language at the Language and Training Centre, e.g. Spanish Beginners A1 and Spanish Beginners A2.1.
- The language courses have mandatory attendance requirements (at least 50 in-class hours in total) for IBA students who take these language courses for credits. Your attendance will be marked each session by the teacher. Failing to meet the attendance requirements means that you will not receive any credits, even if you pass the final exam and receive your certificate.
- You can only request language elective credits upon completion of all your IBA Bachelor 1 courses. Requests for approval and reimbursement can therefore only be submitted while in your second or third year of IBA.
Procedure for using a language course as an elective
- You need to enrol for the first language course module of your choice and pay the fee. Please note: in most cases you have to do an intake first! You can find more information about the intake on this website: https://www.eur.nl/en/education/language-training-centre (choose the language of your preference first)
- After passing the first course module, you have to enrol and pay for the second course.
- After passing the second course module, you can submit your language elective request to Stella Li (Mandeville building, room T5-24) or via email (IBAPM@rsm.nl). Make sure you include the following documents:
- A copy or scan of your two certificates (including your grades on the back of the certificates)
- The completed request form: Request for approval and reimbursement of Language Elective courses
- Proof that you paid for the two courses (e.g. receipt from ESSC, bank statement etc.)
- In regard to the reimbursement, IBA will only reimburse the costs of the courses themselves, not the costs for books, examinations, intakes, etc. The reimbursement is capped at the amount of € 458,- which means we ask for a personal contribution of € 100,- (the cost of 2 modules at the LTC amounts to € 558,-).
In exceptional cases you may be granted permission by the RSM Examination Board to take language courses outside of the LTC. Please seek approval via email (IBAPM@rsm.nl) for the language institution and the courses they offer before you sign up. If you take courses outside of the LTC remember that you must take the equivalent of 2 modules of the same language; two courses (that both end with a final examination) of in total at least 50 in-class hours. These 50 (or more) in-class hours do not include homework, exam preparations, final exam etc. Please note - In order to receive credits, you must take courses that end with an examination. A certificate of completion is not sufficient!
In the event that you are permitted to take a course at an approved external institution (e.g. not the LTC), bear in mind that you will only be reimbursed for the amount that a similar course would cost at the LTC (or less, if the course costs are lower than the LTC tariff). If the course cost amounts to or exceeds € 558,- you will still only be reimbursed a maximum of € 458,-. Please be informed that this results in a higher personal contribution (more than € 100,-).
All approved requests for language credits will be entered into Osiris as PASS (no grade will be registered). Similar to exchange courses, these 5 ECTS will thus NOT count towards your final grade point average.
For more information, help in deciding what language course you would like to enrol in, language courses abroad, etc, please visit Kristy van Iwaarden’s office (T5-24) or contact her by email. For information specific to the Erasmus Language & Training Centre, please consult their website.
Planning to go on Exchange?
Students who go on exchange will fulfill the 20 required ECTS with their exchange courses. If you have requested 5 ECTS and a refund for your language courses at the EUR, you will NOT be permitted to receive language credits while on exchange. Also, even if you have already received 5 ECTS for the language elective, you will still be required to complete 20 ECTS of courses on exchange.