Prof. Wolf Wagner
Wolf Wagner is a Professor of Finance at the Rotterdam School of Management and a fellow of CEPR. He is also a member of ERIM, EBC and a Senior Member of TILEC. His work has been published in various academic journals, such as the Journal of Finance, the Journal of Financial Economics, the Review of Finance, Management Science, the Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, the Journal of International Economics and the Journal of Financial Intermediation.
Wolf Wagner's work focuses on banking and financial markets. Key themes in his research are the wider implications of financial innovation for the efficiency and stability of the financial system, as well as the role of diversity in creating a more resilient economy. Recent interests include the impact of systemic liquidation risk on asset prices, macroprudential policies, and the joint banking and sovereign debt crisis in the Eurozone.
See Wolf Wagner's personal site for more information.
Erasmus University Rotterdam
RSM - Rotterdam School of Management
Department of Finance
- W.B. Wagner (2017). How to regulate international banks. RSM Discovery - Management Knowledge, 32 (4), 11-13.
Scholarly Publications (57)
- B. Horvath & W.B. Wagner (2019). The Disturbing Interaction between Countercyclical Capital Requirements and Systemic Risk. Review of Finance, Accepted .
- J. Voget, W.B. Wagner & H. Huizinga, Harry (2018). Capital gains taxation and the cost of capital: Evidence from unanticipated cross-border transfers of tax base. Journal of Financial Economics, 129 (2), 306-328. doi: 10.1016/j.jfinecon.2018.04.014
- A.C. Bertay, D. Gong & W.B. Wagner (2017). Securitization and economic activity: The credit composition channel. Journal of Financial Stability, 28 (February), 225-239. doi: 10.1016/j.jfs.2016.01.010
- W.B. Wagner & T.H.L. Beck (2016). Supranational Supervision - How Much and for Whom? International Journal of Central Banking, 12 (2), 221-268.
- I. Marsh & W.B. Wagner (2015). News‐Specific Price Discovery in Credit Default Swap Markets. Financial Management .
- G. Peersman & W.B. Wagner (2014). Shocks to Bank Lending, Risk-Taking, Securitization, and Their Role for U.S. Business Cycle Fluctuations.
- W.B. Wagner (2014). Unintended consequences of macroprudential policies. In Macroprudentialism (pp. 105-113). London: CEPR Press
- H.P. Huizinga, J. Voget & W.B. Wagner (2014). International Taxation and Cross-Border Banking. American Economic Journal. Economic Policy, 6 (2), 94-125. doi: 10.1257/pol.6.2.94
- L. Norden, C. Buston & W.B. Wagner (2014). Financial innovation and bank behavior: Evidence from credit markets. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control .
- W.B. Wagner (2013). Performance evaluation and financial market runs. Review of Finance, 17 (2), 597-624.
- D. Schoenmaker & W.B. Wagner (2013). Cross-border Banking in Europe and Financial Stability. International Finance, 16 (1), 1-22. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2362.2013.12026.x
- T.H.L. Beck, R.I. Todorov & W.B. Wagner (2013). Supervising cross-border banks. Economic Policy, 28 (73), 5-44.
- A. Stenzel & W.B. Wagner (2013). Asset Opacity and Liquidity.
- K. Schaeck, C.F. Silva Buston & W.B. Wagner (2013). The Two Faces of Interbank Correlation.
- F. Castiglionesi & W.B. Wagner (2013). On the efficiency of bilateral interbank insurance. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 22 (2), 177-200. doi: 10.1016/j.jfi.2012.07.002
- H.P. Huizinga, J. Voget & W.B. Wagner (2012). Who bears the burden of international taxation? Evidence from cross-border M&As. Journal of International Economics, 88 (1), 186-197. doi: 10.1016/j.jinteco.2012.02.013
- M. Knaup & W.B. Wagner (2012). A market-based measure of credit quality and bank performance during the subprime crisis. Management Science, 58 (8), 1423-1437. doi: 10.1287/mnsc.1110.1501
- F. Castiglionesi & W.B. Wagner (2012). Turning Bagehot on his head. Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, 44 (1), 201-219. doi: 10.1111/j.1538-4616.2011.00473.x
- D. Pfajfar, G. Sgro & W.B. Wagner (2012). Are alternative currencies a substitute or a complement to fiat money? Evidence from cross-country data. International Journal of Community Currency Research, 16 (D), 45-56.
- I. Marsch & W.B. Wagner (2012). Why is Price Discovery in Credit Default Swap Markets News-Specific?
- M. Knaup & W.B. Wagner (2012). Forward-looking tail risk exposures at US bank holding companies. Journal of Financial Services Research, 42 (1-2), 35-54. doi: 10.1007/s10693-012-0131-5
- W.B. Wagner & R.G.M. Nijskens (2011). Credit risk transfer activities and systemic risk. Journal of Banking and Finance, 35 (6), 1391-1398. doi: 10.1016/j.jbankfin.2010.10.001
- H.P. Huizinga, J. Voget & W.B. Wagner (2011). International Taxation and Cross-Border Banking.
- T.H.L. Beck, R.I. Todorov & W.B. Wagner (2011). Bank Supervision Going Global? A Cost-Benefit Analysis (Replaced by CentER DP 2012-059).
- F. Allen, T.H.L. Beck, E. Carletti, P. Lane, D. Schoenmaker & W.B. Wagner (2011). Cross-Border Banking in Europe. Londen: CEPR
- W.B. Wagner (2011). Systemic liquidation risk and the diversity-diversification trade-off. The Journal of Finance, 66 (4), 1141-1175. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2011.01666.x
- T.H.L. Beck, R.I. Todorov & W.B. Wagner (2011). Bank Supervision Going Global? A Cost-Benefit Analysis (Replaced by EBC DP 2012-015).
- W.B. Wagner (2010). Loan market competition and bank risk taking. Journal of Financial Services Research, 37 (1), 71-81. doi: 10.1007/s10693-009-0073-8
- W.B. Wagner (2010). In the quest of systemic externalities. CESifo Economic Studies, 56 (1), 96-111. doi: 10.1093/cesifo/ifp022
- W.B. Wagner (2010). Divestment, entrepreneurial incentives and the life cycle of the firm. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 37 (5-6), 591-611. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-5957.2010.02184.x
- W.B. Wagner (2010). Diversification at financial institutions and systemic crises. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 19 (3), 373-386. doi: 10.1016/j.jfi.2009.07.002
- S.C.W. Eijffinger & W.B. Wagner (2010). Incentive constraints and the pattern of international risk sharing. Journal of International Money and Finance, 29 (7), 1206-1225. doi: 10.1016/j.jimonfin.2010.06.002
- W.B. Wagner (2009). Efficient asset allocations in the banking sector and financial regulation. International Journal of Central Banking, 5 (1), 75-95.
- W.B. Wagner (2009). Banking fragility and liquidity creations. Annals of Finance, 5 (1), 125-129. doi: 10.1007/s10436-008-0095-5
- F. Fecht & W.B. Wagner (2009). The marketability of bank assets and managerial rents. Journal of Financial Stability, 5 (3), 272-282. doi: 10.1016/j.jfs.2009.05.002
- M. Knaup & W.B. Wagner (2009). A Market Based Measure of Credit Quality and Banks' Performance During the Subprime Crisis.
- L. Norden & W.B. Wagner (2008). Credit derivatives and loan pricing. Journal of Banking and Finance, 32 (12), 2560-2569. doi: 10.1016/j.jbankfin.2008.05.006
- S.C.W. Eijffinger & W.B. Wagner (2008). Efficiency of capital taxation in an open economy. International Tax and Public Finance, 15 (6), 636-646. doi: 10.1007/s10797-008-9087-7
- W.B. Wagner (2008). The homgenization of the financial system and liquidity crises. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 17 (3), 330-356.
- W.B. Wagner (2007). International risk sharing and government moral hazard. Open Economies Review, 18 (5), 577-598. doi: 10.1007/s11079-007-9006-z
- W.B. Wagner (2007). Financial development and the opacity of banks. Economics Letters, 97 (1), 6-10. doi: 10.1016/j.econlet.2007.02.006
- W.B. Wagner (2007). Aggregate liquidity shortages, idiosyncratic liquidity smoothing and banking regulation. Journal of Financial Stability, 3 (1), 18-32. doi: 10.1016/j.jfs.2007.01.001
- W.B. Wagner (2007). Loan Market Competition and Bank Risk-Taking.
- W.B. Wagner (2007). The liquidity of bank assets and banking stability. Journal of Banking and Finance, 31 (1), 121-139. doi: 10.1016/j.jbankfin.2005.07.019
- W.B. Wagner & I. Marsh (2006). Credit risk transfer and financial sector stability. Journal of Financial Stability, 2 (2), 173-193. doi: 10.1016/j.jfs.2005.11.001
- W.B. Wagner (2006). The Broadening of Activities in the Financial System.
- M. Knaup & W.B. Wagner (2006). The implications of performance evaluation for the stability of financial markets. FSR Forum, 9 , 29-35.
- B.V.G. Goderis, I. Marsh, J. Vall Castello & W.B. Wagner (2006). Bank Behavior with Access to Credit Risk Transfer Markets.
- R. Calcagno & W.B. Wagner (2006). Dispersed initial ownership and the efficiency of the stock market under moral hazard. Journal of Mathematical Economics, 42 (1), 36-45. doi: 10.1016/j.jmateco.2004.11.003
- I. Marsh & W.B. Wagner (2004). Safety features for credit derivatives. The Financial Regulator, 9 (1), 38-43.
- K. Alexander & W.B. Wagner (2004). Excess capital. The Financial Regulator, 9 (3), 58-63.
- R. Calcagno & W.B. Wagner (2003). The Inefficiency of the Stock Market Equilibrium under Moral Hazard.
- W.B. Wagner (2002, juni 14). Risk sharing under incentive constraints. Tilburg University (Tilburg) Prom./coprom.: Prof.Dr. S.C.W. Eijffinger.
- W.B. Wagner (2002). Divestment, Entrepreneurial Incentives and the Decision to go Public.
- S.C.W. Eijffinger & W.B. Wagner (2002). Taxation if Capital is Not Perfectly Mobile. St. Louis: Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU)
- S.C.W. Eijffinger & W.B. Wagner (2001). The Feasible Gains from International Risk Sharing. St. Louis: CEPR
- W.B. Wagner (2000). Decentralized International Risk Sharing and Governmental Moral Hazard.
Editorial positions (3)
Journal of International Money and Finance
Journal of Financial Stability
University of Limoges
- Central Bank successfully concludes 8th International Research Conference
The 8th International Research Conference of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka was held on 7 December at the John Exter International Conference Hall of the Central Bank. Prof. Wolf Wagner attended.Daily Financial Times Monday, 14 December 2015
- Study year: 2018/2019, 2017/2018
- Code: BERMRC005
- ECTS: 4 Level: Master
- Study year: 2018/2019, 2017/2018, 2016/2017
- Code: BM10FI-A
- ECTS: 6 Level: Master
- Study year: 2018/2019
- Code: BM20FI-A
- ECTS: 8 Level: Master
- Study year: 2019/2020, 2018/2019, 2017/2018
- Code: BMME023
- ECTS: 6 Level: Master, Master, Master, Master
Finance & Investments Honours Programme
- Study year: 2019/2020
- Code: BMHON1FI
- ECTS: 10 Level: Master
Boundaries of Financial Research
- Study year: 2017/2018
- Code: BERMASC036
- ECTS: 1 Level: Master
Financial Intermediation, Systemic Risk and Financial Cycles
- Study year: 2017/2018
- Code: BERMSS023
- ECTS: 2 Level: Master
- Study year: 2016/2017
- Code: BM02FI
- ECTS: 5 Level: Master