Prof. Wolf Wagner
Wolf Wagner is a Professor of Finance at the Rotterdam School of Management and a fellow of CEPR. He is also a member of ERIM, EBC and a Senior Member of TILEC. His work has been published in various academic journals, such as the Journal of Finance, the Journal of Financial Economics, the Review of Finance, Management Science, the Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, the Journal of International Economics and the Journal of Financial Intermediation.
Wolf Wagner's work focuses on banking and financial markets. Key themes in his research are the wider implications of financial innovation for the efficiency and stability of the financial system, as well as the role of diversity in creating a more resilient economy. Recent interests include the impact of systemic liquidation risk on asset prices, macroprudential policies, and the joint banking and sovereign debt crisis in the Eurozone.
See Wolf Wagner's personal site for more information.
Erasmus University Rotterdam
RSM - Rotterdam School of Management
Department of Finance
Professional Publications (2)
- W.B. Wagner (2019). Is cross-border co-operation in bank supervision effective? RSM Discovery - Management Knowledge. [go to publisher's site]
- W.B. Wagner (2017). How to regulate international banks. RSM Discovery - Management Knowledge, 32 (4), 11-13.
Scholarly Publications (59)
- C. Kahn & W.B. Wagner (2020). Sources of Liquidity and Liquidity Shortages. Journal of Financial Intermediation.
- W.B. Wagner (2020). Variable Annuities and Systemic Risk. Réalités Industrielles - Annales des Mines.
- J. Voget, W.B. Wagner & H. Huizinga, Harry (2018). Capital gains taxation and the cost of capital: Evidence from unanticipated cross-border transfers of tax base. Journal of Financial Economics, 129 (2), 306-328. doi: 10.1016/j.jfineco.2018.04.014
- B. Horvath & W.B. Wagner (2017). The Disturbing Interaction between Countercyclical Capital Requirements and Systemic Risk. Review of Finance, 21 (4), 1485.
- A.C. Bertay, D. Gong & W.B. Wagner (2017). Securitization and economic activity: The credit composition channel. Journal of Financial Stability, 28 (February), 225-239. doi: 10.1016/j.jfs.2016.01.010
- W.B. Wagner & T.H.L. Beck (2016). Supranational Supervision - How Much and for Whom? International Journal of Central Banking, 12 (2), 221-268.
- I. Marsh & W.B. Wagner (2015). News‐Specific Price Discovery in Credit Default Swap Markets. Financial Management.
- L. Norden, C. Buston & W.B. Wagner (2014). Financial innovation and bank behavior: Evidence from credit markets. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
- W.B. Wagner (2014). Unintended consequences of macroprudential policies. In Macroprudentialism (pp. 105-113). London: CEPR Press
- G. Peersman & W.B. Wagner (2014). Shocks to Bank Lending, Risk-Taking, Securitization, and Their Role for U.S. Business Cycle Fluctuations.
- H.P. Huizinga, J. Voget & W.B. Wagner (2014). International Taxation and Cross-Border Banking. American Economic Journal. Economic Policy, 6 (2), 94-125. doi: 10.1257/pol.6.2.94
- W.B. Wagner (2013). Performance evaluation and financial market runs. Review of Finance, 17 (2), 597-624.
- T.H.L. Beck, R.I. Todorov & W.B. Wagner (2013). Supervising cross-border banks. Economic Policy, 28 (73), 5-44.
- D. Schoenmaker & W.B. Wagner (2013). Cross-border Banking in Europe and Financial Stability. International Finance, 16 (1), 1-22. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2362.2013.12026.x
- K. Schaeck, C.F. Silva Buston & W.B. Wagner (2013). The Two Faces of Interbank Correlation.
- A. Stenzel & W.B. Wagner (2013). Asset Opacity and Liquidity.
- F. Castiglionesi & W.B. Wagner (2013). On the efficiency of bilateral interbank insurance. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 22 (2), 177-200. doi: 10.1016/j.jfi.2012.07.002
- M. Knaup & W.B. Wagner (2012). A market-based measure of credit quality and bank performance during the subprime crisis. Management Science, 58 (8), 1423-1437. doi: 10.1287/mnsc.1110.1501
- D. Pfajfar, G. Sgro & W.B. Wagner (2012). Are alternative currencies a substitute or a complement to fiat money? Evidence from cross-country data. International Journal of Community Currency Research, 16 (D), 45-56.
- H.P. Huizinga, J. Voget & W.B. Wagner (2012). Who bears the burden of international taxation? Evidence from cross-border M&As. Journal of International Economics, 88 (1), 186-197. doi: 10.1016/j.jinteco.2012.02.013
- F. Castiglionesi & W.B. Wagner (2012). Turning Bagehot on his head. Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, 44 (1), 201-219. doi: 10.1111/j.1538-4616.2011.00473.x
- I. Marsch & W.B. Wagner (2012). Why is Price Discovery in Credit Default Swap Markets News-Specific?
- M. Knaup & W.B. Wagner (2012). Forward-looking tail risk exposures at US bank holding companies. Journal of Financial Services Research, 42 (1-2), 35-54. doi: 10.1007/s10693-012-0131-5
- W.B. Wagner (2011). Systemic liquidation risk and the diversity-diversification trade-off. The Journal of Finance, 66 (4), 1141-1175. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2011.01666.x
- W.B. Wagner & R.G.M. Nijskens (2011). Credit risk transfer activities and systemic risk. Journal of Banking and Finance, 35 (6), 1391-1398. doi: 10.1016/j.jbankfin.2010.10.001
- F. Allen, T.H.L. Beck, E. Carletti, P. Lane, D. Schoenmaker & W.B. Wagner (2011). Cross-Border Banking in Europe. Londen: CEPR
- H.P. Huizinga, J. Voget & W.B. Wagner (2011). International Taxation and Cross-Border Banking.
- T.H.L. Beck, R.I. Todorov & W.B. Wagner (2011). Bank Supervision Going Global? A Cost-Benefit Analysis (Replaced by EBC DP 2012-015).
- T.H.L. Beck, R.I. Todorov & W.B. Wagner (2011). Bank Supervision Going Global? A Cost-Benefit Analysis (Replaced by CentER DP 2012-059).
- S.C.W. Eijffinger & W.B. Wagner (2010). Incentive constraints and the pattern of international risk sharing. Journal of International Money and Finance, 29 (7), 1206-1225. doi: 10.1016/j.jimonfin.2010.06.002
- W.B. Wagner (2010). Divestment, entrepreneurial incentives and the life cycle of the firm. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 37 (5-6), 591-611. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-5957.2010.02184.x
- W.B. Wagner (2010). Loan market competition and bank risk taking. Journal of Financial Services Research, 37 (1), 71-81. doi: 10.1007/s10693-009-0073-8
- W.B. Wagner (2010). In the quest of systemic externalities. CESifo Economic Studies, 56 (1), 96-111. doi: 10.1093/cesifo/ifp022
- W.B. Wagner (2010). Diversification at financial institutions and systemic crises. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 19 (3), 373-386. doi: 10.1016/j.jfi.2009.07.002
- W.B. Wagner (2009). Banking fragility and liquidity creations. Annals of Finance, 5 (1), 125-129. doi: 10.1007/s10436-008-0095-5
- W.B. Wagner (2009). Efficient asset allocations in the banking sector and financial regulation. International Journal of Central Banking, 5 (1), 75-95.
- F. Fecht & W.B. Wagner (2009). The marketability of bank assets and managerial rents. Journal of Financial Stability, 5 (3), 272-282. doi: 10.1016/j.jfs.2009.05.002
- M. Knaup & W.B. Wagner (2009). A Market Based Measure of Credit Quality and Banks' Performance During the Subprime Crisis.
- S.C.W. Eijffinger & W.B. Wagner (2008). Efficiency of capital taxation in an open economy. International Tax and Public Finance, 15 (6), 636-646. doi: 10.1007/s10797-008-9087-7
- W.B. Wagner (2008). The homgenization of the financial system and liquidity crises. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 17 (3), 330-356.
- L. Norden & W.B. Wagner (2008). Credit derivatives and loan pricing. Journal of Banking and Finance, 32 (12), 2560-2569. doi: 10.1016/j.jbankfin.2008.05.006
- W.B. Wagner (2007). The liquidity of bank assets and banking stability. Journal of Banking and Finance, 31 (1), 121-139. doi: 10.1016/j.jbankfin.2005.07.019
- W.B. Wagner (2007). International risk sharing and government moral hazard. Open Economies Review, 18 (5), 577-598. doi: 10.1007/s11079-007-9006-z
- W.B. Wagner (2007). Aggregate liquidity shortages, idiosyncratic liquidity smoothing and banking regulation. Journal of Financial Stability, 3 (1), 18-32. doi: 10.1016/j.jfs.2007.01.001
- W.B. Wagner (2007). Financial development and the opacity of banks. Economics Letters, 97 (1), 6-10. doi: 10.1016/j.econlet.2007.02.006
- W.B. Wagner (2007). Loan Market Competition and Bank Risk-Taking.
- W.B. Wagner (2006). The Broadening of Activities in the Financial System.
- W.B. Wagner & I. Marsh (2006). Credit risk transfer and financial sector stability. Journal of Financial Stability, 2 (2), 173-193. doi: 10.1016/j.jfs.2005.11.001
- R. Calcagno & W.B. Wagner (2006). Dispersed initial ownership and the efficiency of the stock market under moral hazard. Journal of Mathematical Economics, 42 (1), 36-45. doi: 10.1016/j.jmateco.2004.11.003
- M. Knaup & W.B. Wagner (2006). The implications of performance evaluation for the stability of financial markets. FSR Forum, 9, 29-35.
- B.V.G. Goderis, I. Marsh, J. Vall Castello & W.B. Wagner (2006). Bank Behavior with Access to Credit Risk Transfer Markets.
- K. Alexander & W.B. Wagner (2004). Excess capital. The Financial Regulator, 9 (3), 58-63.
- I. Marsh & W.B. Wagner (2004). Safety features for credit derivatives. The Financial Regulator, 9 (1), 38-43.
- R. Calcagno & W.B. Wagner (2003). The Inefficiency of the Stock Market Equilibrium under Moral Hazard.
- W.B. Wagner (2002). Divestment, Entrepreneurial Incentives and the Decision to go Public.
- W.B. Wagner (2002, juni 14). Risk sharing under incentive constraints. Tilburg University (Tilburg) Prom./coprom.: Prof.Dr. S.C.W. Eijffinger.
- S.C.W. Eijffinger & W.B. Wagner (2002). Taxation if Capital is Not Perfectly Mobile. St. Louis: Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU)
- S.C.W. Eijffinger & W.B. Wagner (2001). The Feasible Gains from International Risk Sharing. St. Louis: CEPR
- W.B. Wagner (2000). Decentralized International Risk Sharing and Governmental Moral Hazard.
Semi Scientific Publications (4)
- T. Beck, C. Buston Silva & W.B. Wagner (2019). The effectiveness of cross-border cooperation in banking supervision. VoxEU.org.
- T. Lambert, E. Zhang & W.B. Wagner (2018). Lobbying and the efficiency of bank sales. VoxEU.org.
- T. Beck, C. Buston Silva & W.B. Wagner (2018). The economics of supranational bank supervision. VoxEU.org.
- A. Ellul, C. Jotikasthira, W.B. Wagner, A. Kartasheva & C. Lundblad (2018). Insurers as asset managers and systemic risk. VoxEU.org.
Editorial positions (3)
Journal of International Money and Finance
Journal of Financial Stability
University of Limoges
- Central Bank successfully concludes 8th International Research Conference
The 8th International Research Conference of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka was held on 7 December at the John Exter International Conference Hall of the Central Bank. Prof. Wolf Wagner attended.Daily Financial Times Monday, 14 December 2015
Business shutdowns saved 9,000 human lives in Italy new research finds
Governments worldwide are extending #emergency funding to businesses. Charles Kahn & Wolf Wagner researched how that should be provided.
Does cross-border co-operation in bank supervision help improving the stability of the financial system?
ERIM Research Clinic Finance
- Study year: 2019/2020, 2018/2019, 2017/2018
- Code: BERMRC005
- ECTS: 4 Level: Master
Commercial and Investment Banking
- Study year: 2018/2019, 2017/2018, 2016/2017
- Code: BM10FI-A
- ECTS: 6 Level: Master
- Study year: 2018/2019
- Code: BM20FI-A
- ECTS: 8 Level: Master
Boundaries of Financial Research
- Study year: 2017/2018
- Code: BERMASC036
- ECTS: 1 Level: Master
Financial Intermediation, Systemic Risk and Financial Cycles
- Study year: 2017/2018
- Code: BERMSS023
- ECTS: 2 Level: Master
- Study year: 2016/2017
- Code: BM02FI
- ECTS: 5 Level: Master