The reason that you chose your 3 preferred destinations plays a crucial role in the selection process. Therefore, we advise you to devote a sufficient amount of time to preparing your application.
As of the academic year 2020-2021, you no longer have to write a motivation letter. Instead a couple of questions will be asked in a new system called "Interview Stream". This is Part II of your exchange application which focusses on your motivation. Some questions need to be answered in writing and some by making a short video pitch.
The questions are written in English, we expect you to answer these (in writing or by explaining in a video) in English as well.
When answering the questions, please do not include generic terms such as “high rankings” and “great location”, try to avoid using these.
It's not easy to explain your motivation and making sure that you stand out from the other students.
Here are some questions that you could ask yourself before starting your application:
- How will your selected destinations/schools support your personal, academical and professional goals?
- How have you prepared for your exchange abroad?
- What makes you an ideal candidate for the schools selected?
- What makes you a better candidate than your peers? What makes you different?
- if whatever you mention about the university or destination can easily be mentioned by your peers (rankings, class sizes, non-business courses, description of the city etc.; basically the general information) as well, you will end up with an non-personal motivation. Make sure you elaborate by mentioning your characteristics, your experiences, your interests etc. to make it more personal. The more personal your motivation is, the more you stand out from the crowd applying for the same destinations.