Leading Business Services
Leading Business Services
Business Services is a growth area for company revenue that also strengthens client relationships. It was first used as a reactive service providing break/fix IT services to businesses. Later, Business Services became value-added service propositions, for example providing performance consulting and training.
This new diploma programme for professionals in Business Services, in five modules, was co-created by RSM Executive Education and Maastricht University School of Business and Economics (SBE) in response to an invitation from business leaders in manufacturing industries and the service industry.
The essence of business services
Our Leading Business Services programme is useful for anyone tasked with bringing the essence or soul of Business Services into an organisation. Becoming a true service provider is about finding new business models, implementing new organisational structures and changing the way performance is managed.
Managers and professionals already working in Business Services, or will do so in future, will find it helpful learning from our faculty and exchanging views with other participants.
A clear vision
Changing the mindset of the company requires a clear vision and new leadership. You will benefit from the atmosphere of entrepreneurial spirit, the hands-on attitude of our programme, and the knowledge you gain. The programme generates immediate value, given the rapid development of the market, and is a sound investment for the long-term.
- An inspiring and challenging learning environment
- Assignments that apply your learning to your company’s activities
- Workshop to develop new Business Services propositions
- Project focusing on a company challenge, coached by academic and business experts.
- Diploma certificate awarded from SBE and RSM, and an international network of 58,000+ professionals.
The Leading Business Services programme consists of five two-day modules, and a graduation day. Each module is taught over two consecutive days of classes. The programme is taught in English at RSM and at Maastricht University, School of Business and Economics. The consecutive days of classes run from 09:30 – 18:30 on the first day, and from 09:00 – 17:00 on the second day.
Module 1: Kick-off and service strategy
20 - 21 September 2018 in Rotterdam
- The why and how of moving and developing services
- Defining projects:
- What is your project?
- What do you want to learn?
- Which themes do you think are essential for your project?
- Brilliant Failures
Module 2: Service innovation
29 - 30 October 2018, in Maastricht
- Challenges of business services
- Service design thinking as a tool
- Transforming a product-oriented company in to a service-oriented company
- Human side of digital
- Digital Innovation
Module 3: Sales and Marketing
26 - 27 November 2018 in Rotterdam
- Developing a value proposition for services
- Service delivery/ value added services
- Pricing as an import element of the services marketing mix
- Customer relations and partnerships
- Drivers of sales performance
- Decision-making units and team selling
Module 4: Operations
28 - 29 January 2019 in Maastricht
- Organising for Business Services?
- Insourcing and outsourcing of Business Services
- Value-based sourcing
- Total cost of ownership versus value contract management
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with service suppliers
Module 5: Finance
18 - 19 March 2019 in Rotterdam
- Building a financial business case
- Identify the key value driver and key performance indicators that affect the financial value of the project
- Sensitivity and scenario analysis on the business case and value creation potential for risk analysis
- Explore different ways to finance the project and the impact on value creation
- Accounting implications of the operational and financial structuring of the project
17 May 2019 in Maastricht
- Presentation of the individual company project.
Managers and professionals from manufacturing in particular, and those who are already working in the service industries or Business Services or plan to do so, will find the part-time 11-day Leading Business Services programme useful.
Most candidates will have a university degree and would like to deepen and broaden their knowledge of Business Services. Participants should be prepared to be interactive and open to co-create answers with academics and fellow participants in Rotterdam and in Maastricht.
Several companies contributed to the development of the Leading Business Services programme. Each of them has a strategy to strengthen and grow Business Services, and all recognise the need to develop leaders who can enable the companies to implement their strategy.
Océ is one of the leading providers of document management and printing for professionals. The Océ offering includes office printing and copying systems, high speed digital production printers and wide format printing systems for both technical documentation and colour display graphics. Océ is also a foremost supplier of document management outsourcing. In 2010 Océ joined the Canon Group of companies with headquarters in Tokyo, Japan, to create the global leader in the printing industry.
Philips is a leading company in health and well-being. It serves professional and consumer markets through three overlapping sectors: Lighting, Healthcare and Consumer Lifestyle. Philips demonstrates its capacity for innovation by translating customer insights into meaningful technology and applications that improve the quality of people’s lives.
The Leading Business Services programme is led by a team of expert faculty from Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and Maastricht University, School of Business and Economics.
Prof. Paul Iske
Professor of Marketing and Business Services Innovation
Maastricht University, School of Business and Economics
Duration 1 year part-time Structure Five modules and a graduation day (11 days in total) Locations Maastricht and Rotterdam Dates 20 September 2018 - 30 May 2019
Application and admission
Leading Business Services is intended for those with an ambition to become Business Services Leaders. Most candidates come from manufacturing and technology industries but the programme is also open to candidates from other sectors. When we receive your completed application, you will be invited for an intake interview. This gives you the opportunity to present yourself as a suitable candidate for the programme.
Tuition fees and financing
The fee for the Leading Business Services programme is €10,500 (excl. 21% VAT). This covers tuition costs and learning materials (readers, cases and books). This does not include hotel accommodation or transport.
The application deadline is 6 July 2018. Please apply here.