Successful People Management
Successful People Management
Do you dread giving performance evaluations? Have you ever made a bad selection decision? Do your employees complain about their workload or their pay? If you find these situations challenging or if you fear that your approach may be inconsistent, then this programme is for you.
Over three days, RSM’s leadership experts will help you to learn the most effective management approaches for using your leadership qualities in tasks including job analysis and design, recruitment, performance management and training. You will learn the theoretical knowledge and practical tools to handle common leadership situations using the latest scientific insights into management practices, and practice developing your skills during and after the programme. This programme covers a range of topics based on daily leadership, in which you will learn how to formulate and implement a personal leadership plan, avoiding ‘intuitive people management’ and instead practising ‘strategic people management’.
During the programme, you will:
- understand best leadership practices based on empirical knowledge
- develop verbal and non-verbal strategies for challenging conversations
- formulate a personal plan to help guide your approach to managing people
- identify common management challenges in job design, selection, performance management and training, and rewards
- execute your personal leadership plan
- achieve consistent and effective people management in common challenging situations
- learn from the experiences of your peers and extend your professional network
RSM’s Successful People Management programme is for anyone in a position of leadership:
- a first-time manager seeking practical knowledge for handling re-occurring challenges in managing people
- a middle manager struggling with new responsibilities such as selection and recruitment
- a department manager looking for the latest scientific knowledge and practices to help with specific work situations.
If you are more interested in the psychological factors that can go wrong and should go right in teams and learning more about becoming better equipped at communicating and facilitating teamwork, please look at our Team Leadership programme.
The Successful People Management programme is led by Dr Hannes Leroy and Dr Rebecca Hewett.
Dr Hannes Leroy
Dr Hannes Leroy is an assistant professor of management at RSM. He has researched building individual and collective engagement in teams, and learning from mistakes in a psychologically safe way. He earned his PhD in applied economics and organisational leadership from the University of Leuven in Belgium. He has also worked to identify conditions for effective team performance in organisations such as Colruyt and Securex.
Dr Rebecca Hewett
Dr Rebecca Hewett is an assistant professor of human resource management at RSM. Her research focuses on the interface between HR practices and people’s experiences at work. She completed her PhD on the relationship between workplace rewards and motivation HRM at Royal Holloway, University of London. Prior to this, she worked for 10 years as an HR professional, most recently as Head of HR Operations for the UK’s communications regulator, where she gained a wide experience of team leadership skills and knowledge.
€ 2,750 (excl. 21% VAT) including course materials, lunches, and snacks. This fee does not include hotel accommodation.
10% discount for alumni from Erasmus University Rotterdam and RSM. More information about the discount.
General terms and conditions
Our general terms and conditions apply when you register for an open programme. Please review them to learn more about our policies for cancellation, deferral and substitution.
The programme takes place in the Bayle building on the Woudestein Campus of Erasmus University Rotterdam.
We recommend Novotel Rotterdam Brainpark Hotel, adjacent to the university and less than five minutes’ walk from campus. Participants benefit from special rates.