Prof. Ansgar Richter
Professor Ansgar Richter (1969) is Dean of Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM). He is a professor of Corporate Strategy, Organisation and Governance. His research interests are at the interface of strategy, organisation and governance: dynamic capabilities, organisational design, incentives, ownership and justice in organisations, and the strategy and structure of professional service firms.
Professor Richter studied Philosophy and Economics in Frankfurt and Bochum (Germany), before continuing his studies at London School of Economics (LSE), where he earned an MSc in Industrial Relations and Personnel Management, and a PhD in Management. Following his studies, he worked for over three years as a management consultant with McKinsey & Company, advising international clients on matters of strategy and organisation, before moving on to EBS Business School, Liverpool Management School and Surrey Business School.
At various points in his academic career, Ansgar Richter was a visiting scholar at Berkeley, Stanford, and INSEAD. He has also taught at several major institutions internationally. In addition, he has provided a wide range of executive education programmes for companies in the automotive, chemical, pharmaceuticals, infrastructure, and professional service sectors. Prior to joining RSM, he was the dean of Surrey Business School.
He has published extensively in journals, such as Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies, Leadership Quarterly, and many others. Five of his papers have been included in the Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings. He is a member of the Editorial Boards of Journal of Management, Long-Range Planning, and serves as a reviewer for many other journals on a regular basis. He has also served as Chair of the Management Consulting Division of the Academy of Management.
Meet the Dean: video message from Prof. Ansgar Richter
Erasmus University Rotterdam
RSM - Rotterdam School of Management
Scholarly Publications (12)
- M. Schommer, A. Richter & A. Karma (2019). Does the Diversification – Firm Performance Relationship Change Over Time? A Meta-Analytical Review. Journal of Management Studies, 56 (1), 270-298. doi: 10.1111/joms.12393
- N. Heirati, S.C. Henneberg, A. Richter & R. Harste (2019). Differential importance of social and economic determinants of relationship performance in professional services. Industrial Marketing Management, 76, 23-35. doi: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2018.07.009 [go to publisher's site]
- P. Ulrich, A. Richter, M. Schommer & A. Karna (2019). A New Playbook for Diversified Companies. Here’s How Strong Performers Are Defying Expectations about the Demise of Multi-Business Enterprise. MIT Sloan Management Review, 60 (2), 56-62. [go to publisher's site]
- C.P. Mavis, A. Richter, C. Landau, S.L. Schmidt, T. Simons & K. Steinbock (2018). What Happens when Companies (don’t) Do What they Said they would? Stock Market Reactions to Strategic Integrity. European Management Review, 16 (3), 815-831. doi: 10.1111/emre.12175 [go to publisher's site]
- M.R. Diehl, A. Richter & A. Sarnecki (2018). Variations in Employee Performance in Response to Organizational Justice: The Sensitizing Effect of Socioeconomic Conditions. Journal of Management, 44 (6), 2375-2404. doi: 10.1177/0149206316671581 [go to publisher's site]
- A. Richter & M. Schommer Veränderung der Organisationsstruktur von Unternehmen: Redimensionierung. Knecht T.C., Hommel U., Wohlenberg H. (eds) Handbuch Unternehmensrestrukturierung, pp. 827-843.
- A. Richter & S. Schrader (2017). Financial Participation and Recruitment and Retention: Causes and Consequences. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 28 (11), 1563-1590. doi: 10.1080/09585192.2015.1128456 [go to publisher's site]
- A. Richter & S. Schrader (2017). Levels of Employee Share Ownership and the Performance of Listed Companies in Europe. British Journal of Industrial Relations, 55 (2), 396-420. doi: 10.1111/bjir.12169 [go to publisher's site]
- A. Richter, M. Schommer & A. Karna (2017). The Performance Effects of Diversification in the Context of Its Decline: A Meta-Analytical Review. Academy of Management Proceedings. doi: 10.5465/AMBPP.2017.244 [go to publisher's site]
- C. Landau, A. Karna, A. Richter & K. Uhlenbruck (2016). Institutional Leverage Capability: Using Home-Country Institutional Advantages for Internationalization. Global Strategy Journal, 6, 50-68. doi: 10.1002/gsj.1108 [go to publisher's site]
- A. Karna, A. Richter & E. Riesenkampff (2016). Revisiting the Role of the Environment in the Capabilities–Financial Performance Relationship. Strategic Management Journal, 37 (6), 1154-1173. doi: 10.1002/smj.2379 [go to publisher's site]
- A. Richter & I. Chakraborty (2015). Promoter Ownership in Publicly Listed Firms in India: Does Group Affiliation Matter? OP 45: .
- Blended Physical and Digital Classes the Norm for MBA Programs This Fall
Ansgar Richter of RSM has been mentioned in an article that discusses how the demand for MBAs has increased and how blended physical and digital classes will be the norm.find-mba.com Tuesday, 23 June 2020
- Dean and Professor Ansgar Richter: “A ‘leader’ who does the job of leadership primarily for his or her own benefit isn’t a leader at all”
An interview with Ansgar Richter of RSM.medium.com Tuesday, 19 May 2020