Dr René Bakker
Rene Bakker (https://www.linkedin.com/in/rm-bakker/) is Associate Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship at the Rotterdam School of Management at Erasmus University and Field Editor for the flagship journal in entrepreneurship, the Journal of Business Venturing.
Previously, he was Assistant Professor of Management and Entrepreneurship at the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University (USA), and prior to that Rene worked as a Research Fellow at the Australian Centre for Entrepreneurship Research in Brisbane, Australia. He received his Ph.D. from Tilburg University.
Rene’s research takes place at the cross-section of the fields of entrepreneurship and strategy. His most recent research projects center on Youth Entrepreneurship in Africa, which aims to understand how entrepreneurship may provide a path out of poverty, and on studying Entrepreneurs with a cognitive or physical Impairment. Rene’s award-winning research has been published in the leading management journals in the field, including the Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Academy of Management Annals, and Journal of Business Venturing.
Rene enjoys consulting (particularly with small business and social ventures) and has extensive experience teaching at all levels. He currently teaches Entrepreneurship in the BA program, and Strategic Management in the Executive MBA, both at RSM.
Rene has won several awards for his teaching. In 2020, he won the Best Teacher Award in the area of Strategy and Entrepreneurship, and he was nominated for the RSM Student Representatives’ Professor of the Year Award by his students. Furthermore, Rene recently co-wrote the textbook Strategy in 3D: Essential Tools to Diagnose, Decide, and Deliver, published by Oxford University Press (2020).
Rene has obtained multiple competitive grants throughout the years, totalling well over $400k in external funding.
Erasmus University Rotterdam
RSM - Rotterdam School of Management
Department of Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship
Key Publications (8)
- M.S. Wood, R.M. Bakker & G. Fisher (2021). Unreasoned, non-deliberative, or temporally uncertain? Elaborating time-calibrated entrepreneurial action. Academy of Management Review.
- M.S. Wood, R.M. Bakker & G. Fisher (2020). Back to the future: A time-calibrated theory of entrepreneurial action. Academy of Management Review. [go to publisher's site]
- J. Knoben & R.M. Bakker (2019). The Guppy and the whale: Relational pluralism and start-ups’ expropriation dilemma in partnership formation. Journal of Business Venturing, 34 (1), 103-121. doi: 10.1016/j.jbusvent.2018.05.008
- R.M. Bakker & M. Josefy (2018). More than just a number? The conceptualization and measurement of firm age in an era of temporary organizations. The Academy of Management Annals, 12 (2), 510-536. doi: 10.5465/annals.2017.0035
- R.M. Bakker & D.A. Shepherd (2017). Pull the plug or take the plunge: Multiple opportunities and the speed of venturing decisions in the Australian mining industry. Academy of Management Journal, 60 (1), 1-26.
- R.M. Bakker (2016). Stepping in and stepping out: Strategic alliance partner re-configuration and the unplanned termination of complex projects. Strategic Management Journal, 37 (9), 1919-1941.
- R.M. Bakker, R. DeFillippi, A. Schwab & J. Sydow (2016). Temporary organizing: Promises, processes, problems. Organization Studies, 37 (12), 1703-1719.
- R.M. Bakker & J. Knoben (2015). Built to last or meant to end: Intertemporal choice in strategic alliance portfolios. Organization Science, 26 (1), 256-276.
Editorial positions (2)
Journal of Business Venturing
Member Editorial Board
- Subsidie voor onderzoek naar gevolgen coronamaatregelen
Erasmus University Rotterdam has an important role in the research into the Covid-19 pandemic. That is why the Erasmus Trust Fund Foundation is honoring six research projects within the theme "The socio-economic effect of the…Erasmus MC Wednesday, 16 December 2020
- Erasmus Trustfonds honoreert zes onderzoeksprojecten naar sociaal-economisch effect van Covid-19 pandemie
Erasmus University Rotterdam has an important role in the research into the Covid-19 pandemic. That is why the Erasmus Trust Fund Foundation is honoring six research projects within the theme "The socio-economic effect of the…Erasmus Magazine Wednesday, 16 December 2020
- Tijdelijk Algemeen Dagblad
Algemeen Dagblad has mentioned René Bakker in an article, who will soon start as a Professor in Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship at RSM.Algemeen Dagblad Tuesday, 8 May 2018
- Study year: 2020/2021
- Code: BK2108
- Level: Bachelor 2
- Study year: 2020/2021, 2019/2020, 2018/2019
- Code: BKB2020
- Level: Bachelor 2, Pre-master
- Study year: 2020/2021
- Code: BT2108
- Level: Bachelor 2, Pre-master, Pre-master Business Administration (English Language)
- Study year: 2019/2020, 2018/2019
- Code: BPA1013
- ECTS: 3