New knowledge from research is always needed in business. Sometimes, the best person to carry out that research is you.
Business professionals interested in further developing their academic skills while researching their own business activity or industry can now take part in academic study and research at the same time as working. This new four-to-five year programme leads to a PhD degree from Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM).
RSM’s Part-time PhD Programme in Management (PT PhD) started in September 2015. It has the academic rigour of a full-time PhD degree, and produces new and practical knowledge that can be absolutely relevant to your particular area of business
For admission to the Part-time PhD programme at RSM, you must
- be an executive with an MSc or MBA degree(only eligible when completed with written MBA thesis) in a relevant discipline with a strong interest in research, willing to combine the Part-time PhD Programme with your full-time or part-time job
- have a strong interest in research and proven track record that includes excellent study results, or writing and publishing white papers, articles or other work
- have proof of proficiency in English, for example a TOEFL or IELTS test (minimum scores TOEFL 100; IELTS 7.5). Your language test results should not be more than two years old
In addition to these formal requirements, candidates will be selected according to excellence. Your CV, motivation, and your reference from your intended supervisor or supervisors will be taken into consideration.
Thorough training in research methods and skills
A 20ECTS course program, organized in modules
A programme of theoretical foundations as well as a strong methodological basis organized into manageable modules
Supervision and coaching by RSM’s top faculty
Access to RSM’s excellent research facilities, electronic journals and databases, as well as it world-class conference events and research seminars
Your PhD thesis produced as a professionally produced electronic manuscript and printed book, and a formal public defense ceremony
How to apply
To apply to the part-time PhD programme candidates need to submit the following documents:
- A motivation letter that refers to a research area specified in our open projects. Please sketch your background, research idea and intended research approach, and clearly relate it to one or several of the topics described in the research area of your choice. The additional submission of a research proposal is optional (see point “proof of writing” below).
- A proof of writing in English language. The purpose of this document is to demonstrate that you are capable of writing academic texts in English. This can be, for example, a chapter of your Msc or MBA thesis, a paper, or a research proposal for your intended research.
- Proof of English, i.e. the results of a TOEFL or IELTS test not older than two years
- BSc and MSc or MBA diploma + grade lists (for both)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Optional: if you have already been in contact with RSM faculty who would be willing to supervise you if you are accepted to the program, please add a letter of recommendation from your intended promotor at RSM
- If you need to apply for a scholarship due to financial hardship please add an additional document containing:
- The statement that you cannot pay the tuition fees from own resources
- A summary of other funding opportunities (e.g., employer contribution, scholarships outside of RSM etc) that you have explored so far
The Admissions Committee may also ask you to take a GMAT test and/or to submit additional documents as part of the evaluation process.
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM) is one of Europe’s top-ranked business schools. RSM provides ground-breaking research and education furthering excellence in all aspects of management and is based in the international port city of Rotterdam – a vital nexus of business, logistics and trade. RSM’s primary focus is on developing business leaders with international careers who can become a force for positive change by carrying their innovative mindset into a sustainable future. Our first-class range of bachelor, master, MBA, PhD and executive programmes encourage them to become critical, creative, caring and collaborative thinkers and doers. Study information and activities for future students, executives and alumni are also organised from the RSM office in Chengdu, China. www.rsm.nl
RSM is a faculty of Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR). EUR is an internationally oriented university with a strong social orientation in its education and research. Our scientists and students work in close collaboration with internal and external parties to solve global, social challenges, inspired by the always dynamic and cosmopolitan Rotterdam. Our mission is therefore "Creating positive societal impact". Our academic education is intensive, active and application-oriented. Our research increasingly takes place in multidisciplinary teams, which are strongly intertwined with international networks. With our research impact and thanks to the high quality of education, EUR can compete with the top European universities. The Erasmian values function as our internal compass and make Erasmus University recognizable to the outside world: engaged with society, world citizen, connecting, entrepreneurial and open-minded. www.eur.nl