NON EU-EEA students

NON EU-EEA students

This section of our website is for students from non-EU/EEA countries who are registered in a full-time BSc or MSc programme at RSM and who would like to do an internship in the Netherlands or work in the Netherlands. It describes opportunities for gaining work experience through an internship or job during or after your studies in the Netherlands.

Students who are nationals from the EU/EEA (excluding Croatia), Switzerland and Japan are free to live and work in Netherlands without restrictions, but students with a non-EU/EEA nationality should be aware of the following regulations.

  • Non-EU/EAA students can do an internship if it is:

    • relevant for the study;
    • supported by an academic coach.
    • you are registered as a student for the entire period of the internship
    • your student visa is valid for the entire period of the internship

    As a first step you need to register your internship via -> choose to start a new case -> select registration internships not part of curriculum.
    To show that you meet the first 2 criteria, you need to write an internship proposal and have this signed by an academic staff member.
    The next step is to fill in the Nuffic standard trainee agreement. This agreement can replace a company contract and is necessary to proof that you can do the internship with your student visa instead of a work permit. The agremeent needs to be signed by you, a company representative and a representative from university (RSM Career Centre). You can find and upload the documents (proposal and Nuffic standard trainee agreement) in the Osiris registration tool. We will sign your agreement within a couple of working days.

  • You can also do an internship after graduation if you register for an postponement of active degree.

  • As a student from a non-EU/EEA country, you can gain work experience in the Netherlands in the form of a (side) job, though the company has to request a work permit (TWV) for you. There is more information on the Study in Holland website.

    A work permit enables non-EU/EEA students to either work for a maximum of 16 hours a week or work full-time during the summer months of June, July and August.

    Your employer must apply for your work permit. It generally takes about five weeks to receive the permit so the application must be made well in advance.

    When you work alongside your studies you are required to have a Dutch health insurance. Please check the leaflet Dutch health insurance intenational students.

  • If you are an RSM student or RSM graduate from a non-EU/EEA country and want to find a job in the Netherlands, you can apply to do an 'orientation year' (zoekjaar). An orientation year permit allows graduates free access to the Dutch labour market and is valid for a maximum of one year. Using an orientation year means employers do not need to apply for a work permit for you. Please note that you can apply for an orientation year within three years after graduation of each degree of a Dutch institution (BSc and MSc count separately). There is more information available about this process through the following link.

    If your employment position continues after the end of your orientation year, you must apply for another type of residence permit from the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service, IND.

  • There are limited opportunities for non-EU/EEA students doing a study exchange at RSM to work during their studies. Please see the section Working during studies.

  • RSM Career Centre cannot keep track of all international work and study rules and regulations, but you can always visit our office for advice. We do know that some countries such as France, Belgium, Germany and Spain prefer that students’ internship contracts are signed by the school. Please note that your student visa for the Netherlands does not automatically provide you access to work in other EU countries.