In our education we are using teaching cases, assignments and videos to highlight the issues as well as the business challenges posed by the SDGs, and confront students with the complexities of working with the SDGs. Here we share these materials per SDG, showcasing material that is most directly relevant. Explore the other SDGs.
Not everyone receives the precious gift of health. SDG3 Good health and well-being aims to fix that; to help the 30 million children still unimmunised against preventable diseases, and to improve poor healthcare systems. At the same time, life expectancy in developed countries is still increasing, uncovering new challenges and responsibilities towards the elderly. And mental health issues are increasingly regarded as an integral part of healthcare.
Reviewing the accessibility and scope of healthcare opens up opportunities for businesses and governments, but demands the highest standards.
Health-related issues are different in different regions – in developed and developing areas – explains master student Tessa Jansen (MSc Supply Chain Management). Here, she outlines the problems encountered in every dimension of healthcare.
Prof. Erik van Raaij gives insights on problems in healthcare in developed economies. As professor of purchasing and supply management in healthcare at RSM, his focus is on the transition to a value-driven healthcare system.
Dr Henk-Jan Aanstoot is co-founder of Diabeter, a specialized treatment centre for type 1 diabetes which seeks to revolutionise healthcare in the Netherlands. He presents a real-life business case.
Want to start applying your knowledge? Here are easy tips related to SDG 3:
- Be more active. Exercise, go for walks at lunchtime or cycle to work.
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases are not over. Protect yourself. Test yourself.
- Make time for yourself and your friends.
Want to do more? Here are the Good Life Goals.
RSM has developed a case series addressing the Sustainable development goals, which contains at least one case that specifically touches upon one of the 17 SDGs.
Cases with a primary focus on SDG 3:
You might also be interested in:
- Business and the Sustainable Development Goals – a framework for effective corporate involvement, a short book by Prof. Rob van Tulder.
- One of the winners of the 2018 I WILL Award, Juvoo, who have worked on finding solutions for issues in caring for the elderly.
- A short video about ways to improve healthcare in a developed country by improving communications from RSM’s Dr Stefano Tasselli.
- A blog on why menstrual health must be in government and employer policies.
- An article on how organisational improvements can support technology implementations in health care.