Nordic Leadership Expedition
Nordic Leadership Expedition
What are you really made of? Test yourself to your limits – away from the noise of everyday life. The outdoor context and intensive coaching by experts and your peers will help develop your
awareness of your strengths and limitations as a leader. By navigating through unknown terrain in the wilderness of Norway for seven days, you learn how to take the lead, and how to do it more effectively. Improving communication, growing trust, coaching, developing co-ordination and reflection are all part of improving your overall leadership and creating an environment in which everyone can thrive.
People develop into leaders through experiences. You will be challenged physically and emotionally so you can build a strong understanding of your strengths and weaknesses in a unique setting. The Nordic Leadership Expedition is designed by RSM Executive Education and is led by Dr Hannes Leroy, who is passionate about helping leaders to use their authentic selves as a source of leadership strength.
This seven-day programme will provide many learning opportunities for personal growth as you share complex situations with your group in the wilderness, leading to strong connections with your peers and coach, and grow to know yourself better. Insights gained from these close connections form an important part of the leadership course. You’ll learn when to step up, and when to let others lead; it’s about connecting, focus and delegation.
During this leadership development course in Norway, you will:
- enter an exercise encountering very real challenges that test your leadership capacity, in which you discover your strengths and weaknesses as team leader
- learn and share inspiring leadership ideas
- enjoy lengthy conversations with coaches and 360° feedback from peers to make sense of these results and relate it to your career and life goals
- enhance your leadership styles and effectiveness: while using a compass to navigate the wilderness, we help you navigate leadership challenges with our RSM Leadership Compass, based on academic and practical insights about what constitutes effective leadership
- boost your mental and physical health with the personal health coaching you receive from our instructors in preparation for the expedition: your increased personal resilience will help guide you through the stressors of daily life.
If you have already done regular types of leadership programmes but are now looking for something with more impact, then this might be perfect for you. You have already been a leader in
business for several years, but there’s no minimum management level or specific industry experience needed to join this expedition. What counts is that you are aware of your potential growth as a leader. You will particularly benefit from this leadership expedition in Norway if you are:
- ready for a challenge that is physical – and sometimes emotional
- willing to step completely out of your normal life for seven days, with no access to internet or mobile phones
- willing to leave your comfort zone – but don’t worry, you don’t have to be an outdoor expert because safety is guaranteed by our outdoor coaches.
During the Nordic Leadership Expedition Programme you will learn from Dr Hannes Leroy. Occasionally we may substitute other faculty members according to the content of the programme and their availability.
Dr Hannes Leroy
Hannes Leroy is an associate professor at RSM, and academic director of the Erasmus Centre for Leadership. His expertise is in authentic and inclusive leadership, and how to develop it. His talent is facilitating personal development by bringing people out of their comfort zones. He has published research on effective leadership in organisations, particularly on how to develop leaders. A particular interest is authenticity and the development of authentic leadership, a leadership style that is anchored in the unique identity of each leader. He taught at Johnson School of Business, Cornell University, and has a PhD in applied economics and organisational leadership from the University of Leuven in Belgium.
“The Nordic Leadership Expedition was one of the most challenging, yet satisfying endeavours I have ever undertaken. There’s no place to hide in Norway’s wilderness, so everyone has to face their challenges. Being pushed to my limits helped me discover what kind of person I am and who I want to be. Having to lead myself and others through adversity allowed me to grow more confident in my leadership skills, thanks to the excellent coaching I received, both from the instructors and my peers. Now, whenever an issue seems insurmountable I remember the times during the expedition when I thought I couldn’t take another single step just to find out that I still can. Drawing on this newfound strength has increased my resilience in every area of life. I learned how to stay calm under pressure and keep walking, even when I think I cannot take any more steps.”
Verena Ohms, EMBA alumna, Class of 2018
On this page you will find practical information about the 7-day programme Nordic Leadership Expedition.
Careful selection of members for each group to maximise peer-to-peer learning is part of the application process. This programme requires a basic level of fitness. The admissions process includes an assessment of your fitness and working experience to ensure that you are assigned to a group that matches your skills and abilities.
€ 5,500 (excl. 21% VAT) excluding travel expenses, and including course materials, lunches, and snacks. This fee does not include hotel accommodation.
10% discount for alumni from Erasmus University Rotterdam and RSM. More information about the discount.