This programme has a limited capacity and can become full before the 15 May application deadline. Last year the maximum capacity was reached on the 21st of January. We therefore reccommend that you apply as early as possible to avoid dissappointment. If this programme is full, you may want to consider the Dutch language premaster programme instead.
©The requirements listed on this page are subject to change without prior notice until the 30th of November, 2020. No rights can be derived from this publication. RSM Admissions Office ultimately decides if the level and content of your education is sufficient for admission.
For the premaster programmes RSM accepts applicants with a bachelor obtained at an accredited University of Applied Sciences in the Netherlands (HBO), Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland.
If your studies were completed in Dutch, you must apply for the Dutch language premaster. The English language premaster is aimed at applicants who have completed their bachelor degree outside the Netherlands and applicants who have completed their degree in The Netherlands, but in English.
It is not necessary for you to have completed your bachelor studies at the time of application, but all requirements of the bachelor, including the final thesis must be completed by the 31st of August, 2021.
The content of your bachelor degree will determine which MSc programmes you may participate in following successful completion of the premaster. During the admissions process, the RSM admissions office will determine which MSc programmes you may participate in.
- Applicants with little or no business administration in their bachelor degree will only have access to the following MSc programmes:
- Master in Management
- Part-time Master in Management (Dutch only)
- Business Analytics Management
- Accounting & Financial Management
- Applicants who have a degree with a broad business related curriculum (examples are business administration, hotel management, small business & retail management) will be eligible for admission to all of the MSc programmes following the premaster.
- Applicants with a more specialized business degree (examples are human resource management, logistics or financial management) will be eligible for admission to many, but not all of the MSc programmes following the premaster.
- Applicants with little or no business administration in their bachelor degree will only have access to the following MSc programmes:
RSM requires a minimum level of mastery and ambition from its applicants. RSM defines two categories of students that seek admission to its programmes:
Students who will obtain a bachelor degree at a Dutch applied sciences university can prove their mastery and ambition with an unrounded minimum grade point average (GPA) of 7.5.
At the time of application RSM calculates a Weighted Grade Point Average based on all of the grades from your bachelor programme, including the propaedeutic year.
Some universities only use the last two years of your bachelor to calculate a GPA. If this is the case, RSM will not use the calculation provided by your university but will re-calculate the GPA. Additional grades obtained at a Dutch higher education institution during a second bachelor degree, master programme, or extra minor can be added to the GPA calculation for the benefit of the applicant.
If your GPA does not meet the minimum requirement at the time of application, you can still apply, but you need to obtain a sufficient GPA before the application deadline of 15 May, or before the programme has filled up (which can happen before the regular application deadline). Students who meet the minimum GPA requirement at the time of application are given priority.
Applicants who will obtain their bachelor diploma from an applied sciences university in Austria, Belgium, Finland, Germany, Sweden or Switzerland can prove their mastery and ambition with an above average GPA from their own country of education and a GMAT test result with a minimum score of 600. Rough indications of acceptable GPA’s from different countries can be found in the FAQ section.
Almost every country has at least one GMAT test center. You can check the availability in your country via the official GMAT website. The current fee for taking the test is US$250.00. The costs of the test are not covered by RSM.
Take into account that test dates can fill up quickly, particularly during peak testing periods, so we urge you to register to take the exam as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
The GMAT exam consists of 4 parts: a quantitative section, a verbal section, an analytical writing assessment and integrated reasoning section. Only the quantitative and verbal sections are used to determine your overall score. Therefore RSM does not require you to complete the analytical writing assessment nor the integrated reasoning section.
The Online GMAT test offered during COVID-19 is accepted for the admissions process until further notice.
The Language & Training Center at Erasmus University offers GMAT preparation courses at the Woudestein Campus. For schedules and detailed information click here. The costs of these courses are not covered by RSM.
GMAT exam results can only be verified online. For this you need to give RSM permission to access your score.
- Requst for your score report to be sent to RSM when taking the test.
- You can also request for this to be done after the test, but GMAT charges extra fees for this.
- RSM also accepts the unofficial score report which you will receive right after taking the test as long as we can verify your score later.
The GMAT code for RSM is QK8-CX-28
In order to guarantee the required minimum level of English proficiency, an applicant must be able to show proof of proficiency on at least C1 level (according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Language - CEFR). You can submit your application first without the English results but they must be submitted by the application deadline, or before the programme has reached maximum capacity (whichever occurs first). English proficiency can be proven in different ways:
- Your secondary school was taught completely in the English language in one of the following countries: USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or within the EU/EEA. If it is not mentioned on the diploma, or on the website of the school that the programme was taught completely in the English language, an official statement provided by the school is required.
- You have an International Baccalaureate (IB) English A Higher Level certificate with grade 4 or higher or IB English A Standard Level Certificate with grade 5 or higher.
- You have obtained a European Baccalaureate Diploma with a minimum grade of 7.0 for English (language 1 or 2).
You can use your bachelor degree as proof of english proficiency if:
- the degree programme was taught completely in English in one of the following countries: USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or within the EU/EEA.
- If the programme was taught in 2 languages (for example German and English) you must show proof that the majority of the programme was taugh in English. For example if the programme consists of 210 EC or 4 years, 180 EC or 3 years must have been completed in English.
If it is not mentioned on the diploma, or on the website of the university that the programme is taught in English, an official statement provided by the university is required.
You can use your master degree as proof of English proficiency if:
- Your master degree programme was taught completely in the English language in one of the following countries: USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or within the EU/EEA
- and you have completed this degree at the time of applying to RSM.
If it is not mentioned on the diploma, or on the website of the university that the programme is taught completely in the English language, an official statement provided by the university is required.
RSM accepts English course/test results at C1 level (CEFR) taken at any accredited university of applied science or research university within the EU/EEA. All aspects of the language must have been included in the test (reading, writing, listening and speaking skills).
You must be able to provide proof of this in your application. Accepted forms of proof are:
- a course certificate clearly indicating the the obtained level
- an official statement, filled in and signed by your university (you can also have your university fill in the RSM provided English Proficiency form)
NOTE: Online tests, such as the OLS (Online Linguistics Support for Erasmus+) or Oxford Online Placement test are not accepted.
The Language & Training Centre (LTC) of Erasmus University, Rotterdam offers intake tests throughout the year, which will determine your current level of proficiency, as well as English courses from September onwards.
Current RSM BA students are strongly recommended to consider the BA English courses in trimester 7 as this option is (eventually) free of charge.
The accepted RSM courses are:
- Language course English level C1.1 (BKB1035-C)
- English business speaking and writing skills (BKB1035-D)
Standardized tests accepted by RSM:
IELTS: Academic test minimum overall score of 7.0 and minimum sub scores 6.5.
Please note that the ITP TOEFL test is not accepted as it does not test the speaking abilities of the candidate. RSM does however temporarily accept the TOEFL ITP® Plus for China. Students who have taken this test, will be required to take a additional verbal test via the Erasmus University Language & Training Center.
Cambridge English test with a minimum overall level of C1 and subscores of 180 for all parts of the test (reading, writing, listening & speaking). Accepted forms of test are:
- Cambridge English: First
- Cambridge English: Advanced
- Cambridge English: Proficiency
- Cambridge English: Business Vantage
- Cambridge English: Business Higher
- Both overall and sub score requirements listed above must be met.
- Take into account that test dates at the test centres can fill up quickly, particularly during peak testing periods. Therefore we urge you to register to take the test as early as possible to avoid disappointment. Keep in mind that it can take several weeks to receive the results of your test. This means that you should plan to take the test 4-6 weeks before the application deadline.
- Other tests such as the Michigan English are not accepted.
Verification & Validity
Always upload a copy of your score report in your application.
- TOEFL scores can be verified online. Therefore you should request the tests center to send your score report to RSM. The institutional code of RSM is 0798 and for Erasmus University 7199 (you can use either). Scores are verifiable for 2 years. If your scores are older than 2 years, please contact the RSM Admissions Office for further advise.
- IELTS scores are verified online using the TRF code marked on the score report. Scores are verifiable for 5 years.
- In order for RSM to verify your Cambridge score, you need to add your Cambridge candidate ID number and secret number to your application with your score report. If you do not have the candidate ID and secret number, you must contact the authorized examination centre where the examination was originally taken. Please note that RSM can not verify test scores taken before 2005.
Regularly scheduled test/course
Intake tests and courses are offered by The Erasmus University Language & Training Centre (LTC) throughout the year. You can always participate in a Language test at the EUR LTC on their regularly scheduled test dates at your own cost. You can check for the next possible test date on their website. Please note that the ITP TOEFL test offered by the EUR LTC is not accepted as it does not test the speaking abilities of the candidate.
RSM English test (only available to students from Dutch educational institutions; HBO/WO)
RSM together with the LTC also offers English tests free of charge with the following conditions:
Test dates and times: The tests will only be offered on two specific moments of the year:
The first test will be given on week 49 (30 november – 4 december 2020) - registration for this test date has closed
The second test will be given on week 15 (12 – 16 april 2021)
You can only take the test once free of charge. It is not possible to re-schedule the test due to illness or any other reason. If you fail to achieve a C1 level result, you can retake the test at your own cost.
On both dates the writing part of the test takes place in the morning and the verbal part in the afternoon. Therefore you need to be available throughout the day of the test.
Registering for the test: You can register for the test when applying to RSM and filling in the Online Application Form (OLAF). You must submit your application for the programme of your choice at least three weeks before the date of the test you want to participate in. The RSM Admissions Office will then evaluate your application, and if you meet the other minimum requirements, we will register you for the test with the EUR LTC.
Results of the test: After the test you will receive an overview of your results, but you will not receive an official language certificate. RSM will only accept your resutls if the minimum obtained overall level as well as individual components meet the C1 requirement.The test results are only valid for your application for RSM. The results of the 1st test will be availabe by mid January. The results of the 2nd test will be available in the beginning of May. Keep this in mind especially when applying for the programmes with a maximum capacity.
Personal circumstances: Students with dyslexia or other personal circumstances can request for additional time to take the test. It’s required to notify the LTC by e-mail before the test date about any personal circumstances. In the email you should include your dyslexia statement or any other relevant statements.
The application process starts on the 1st of October. The application deadline is the 15th of May, but as this programme has a maximum capacity of 70 spots, it may fill up before the deadline. Therefore we advise you to apply as early as possible.
When applying for the programme (first via Studielink and then via the Online Application Form) choose the programme option: (PREMASTER) INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION IBA (RSM) (IN ENGLISH). For the complete instructions, check out our How to Apply pages.