This programme has reached a sufficient number of applications to reach the maximum capacity for the 2019 start. If possible, please consider the Dutch language premaster programme instead.
For the premaster programmes RSM accepts applicants with a bachelor degree obtained at an accredited University of Applied Sciences in the Netherlands (HBO), Austria, Belgium, Finland, Germany, Sweden and Switzerland.
If your studies were completed in Dutch, you must apply for the Dutch language premaster. The English language premaster is aimed at applicants who have completed their bachelor degree outside the Netherlands and applicants who have completed their degree in The Netherlands, but in English.
It is not necessary for you to have completed your bachelor studies at the time of application, but all requirements of the bachelor, including the final thesis must be completed by the 31st of August, 2019.
You must have completed a bachelor degree with comprehensive knowledge of the functional domains of business administration.This is equal to a minimum of 120 EC of relevant courses in at least 5 of the 7 subject areas listed below:
- Finance & Accounting
- Human Resources Management
- Strategic Management
- Supply Chain Management/Logistics
- Business Information Management
- (Business) Economics
For a list of programmes from Dutch universities of applied sciences that met our requirements in the past, see additional information. Please note that having studied one of these programmes is not a guarantee for admission. We will still check your academic transcript to see if you’ve covered the relevant subjects. If your degree programme is not on the list, but meets the course requirements listed above, you are welcome to apply for admission.
RSM requires a minimum level of mastery and ambition from its applicants. RSM defines two categories of students that seek admission to its programmes:
Students who will obtain a bachelor degree at a Dutch applied sciences university can prove their mastery and ambition with an unrounded minimum grade point average (GPA) of 7.5.
RSM calculates the GPA's based on all of the grades from your bachelor programme, including the propaedeutic year. Some universities only use the last three years of your bachelor to calculate a GPA. If this is the case, RSM will not use the calculation provided by your university but will re-calculate the GPA. Additional grades obtained during a second degree, such as a master programme, can be added to the GPA calculation for the benefit of the applicant.
An insufficient GPA, based on a Dutch applied sciences university diploma, can be compensated with a GMAT test result of 600 minimum. This compensation policy is offered as a courtesy to students and any costs of the test are at the expense of the applicant.
Applicants who will obtain their bachelor diploma from an applied sciences university outside the Netherlands can prove their mastery and ambition with an above average GPA from their own country of education and a GMAT test result with a minimum score of 600. Rough indications of acceptable GPA’s from different countries can be found in the FAQ section.
Almost every country has at least one GMAT test center. You can check the availability in your country via the official GMAT website. The current fee for taking the test is US$250.00. The costs of the test are not covered by RSM.
Take into account that test dates can fill up quickly, particularly during peak testing periods, so we urge you to register to take the exam as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
The GMAT exam consists of 4 parts: a quantitative section, a verbal section, an analytical writing assessment and integrated reasoning section. Only the quantitative and verbal sections are used to determine your overall score. Therefore RSM does not require you to complete the analytical writing assessment nor the integrated reasoning section.
The Language & Training Center at Erasmus University offers GMAT preparation courses at the Woudestein Campus. For schedules and detailed information click here. The costs of these courses are not covered by RSM.
GMAT exam results can be verified only if you have given RSM permission to access your score. This is usually done by requesting a score report to be sent to RSM when taking the test. You can also request for this to be done after the test, but GMAT charges extra fees for this. RSM also accepts the unofficial score report which you will receive right after taking the test as long as we can verify your score later.
In order to guarantee the required minimum level of English proficiency, an applicant must be able to show proof of proficiency on at least C1 level (according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Language - CEFR). English proficiency can be proven in different ways:
- Your secondary school was taught completely in the English language in one of the following countries: USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or within the EU/EEA. If it is not mentioned on the diploma, or on the website of the school that the programme was taught completely in the English language, an official statement provided by the school is required.
- You have an IB English A Higher Level certificate with grade 4 or higher or IB English A Standard Level Certificate with grade 5 or higher.
Your degree programme was taught completely in the English language (equal to a minimum of 3 years or 180 EC) in one of the following countries: USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or within the EU/EEA. If it is not mentioned on the diploma, or on the website of the university that the programme is taught completely in the English language, an official statement provided by the university is required.
Your master degree programme was taught completely in the English language in one of the following countries: USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or within the EU/EEA. If it is not mentioned on the diploma, or on the website of the university that the programme is taught completely in the English language, an official statement provided by the university is required.
RSM accepts English course/test results at C1 level (CEFR) taken at any accredited applied science institute or research university institute within the EU/EEA.
You must be able to provide proof of this in your application. The document must clearly indicate the obtained level. If the course or test was taken as a part of your study, this can also be included in your transcript of records. However the obtained level should still be indicated or additional documentation must be submitted.
If you have only taken a language test, all aspects of the language must have been included (reading, writing, listening and oral skills).
NOTE: Online tests (often done without supervision), such as the OLS (Online Linguistics Support for Erasmus+) or Oxford Online Placement test are not accepted.
The Language & Training Centre (LTC) of Erasmus University, Rotterdam offers intake tests throughout the year, which will determine your current level of proficiency, as well as English courses from September onwards.
Standardized tests accepted by RSM:
- IELTS: Academic test minimum overall score of 7.0 and minimum sub scores 6.5
- TOEFL (iBT): minimum overall score 94 with minimum sub scores of 22 for reading, listening and speaking and for writing 24. Please note that the ITP TOEFL test offered by the Erasmus University Language & Training Centre (LTC) is not accepted.
- Cambridge ESOL: Equal to CAE-C/C1 Advanced or CPE-C/C2 proficiency
- Cambridge BEC Higher/C1 Business Higher: Minimum grade C
Both overall and sub score requirements must be met! All sub scores must meet the minimum requirements within one exam, meaning that scores of two exams may not be combined to reach sufficient scores from different categories of the exam.
Take into account that test dates at the test centres can fill up quickly, particularly during peak testing periods. Therefore we urge you to register to take the test as early as possible to avoid disappointment. Keep in mind that it can take several weeks to receive the results of your test. This means that you should plan to take the test 4-6 weeks before the application deadline.
Note that other tests, such as the TOEFL ITP or Michigan English are not accepted.
Verification & Validity
Always make sure to upload a copy of your score report in your application.
TOEFL scores can be verified online. Therefore you should request the tests center to send your score report to RSM. The institutional code of RSM is 0798 and for Erasmus University 7199 (you can use either). Scores are verifiable for 2 years. If your scores are older than 2 years, please contact the RSM Admissions Office for further advise.
IELTS scores are verified online using the TRF code marked on the score report. Scores are verifiable for 5 years.
In order for RSM to verify your Cambridge score, you need to add your Cambridge candidate ID number and secret number to your application with your score report. If you do not have the candidate ID and secret number, you must contact the authorized examination centre where the examination was originally taken. Please note that RSM can not verify test scores taken before 2005.
The Erasmus University Language & Training Centre (LTC) offers intake tests throughout the year, which will determine your current level of proficiency, as well as English courses from September onwards.
RSM together with the LTC also offers English tests free of charge on two specific dates per year. The exact dates will be communicated on this page by October 2019.
- This test is only available to students who will obtain a bachelor or master degree at a research - or applied sciences university in the Netherlands
- The test will only be offered on two specific dates (December and April).
- In order to participate in one of these tests you first need to submit your application for the programme of your choice.
- When filling in the Online Application Form (OLAF) you will be able to indicate on which of the two possible dates you want to take the test. Note that your application must be submitted at least two weeks before the date of the test you want to take.
- The RSM Admissions Office will then evaluate your application, and if you meet the other minimum requirements, we will register you for the test with the EUR LTC.
- It is not possible to re-schedule the test due to illness or any other reason.
- You can only take the test once. If you fail to achieve a C1 level result, you can retake the test at your own cost.
- After the test you will receive an overview of your results, but you will not receive an official language certificate.
- The test results are only valid for your application for RSM.
You can always participate in a Language test at the EUR LTC on their regularly scheduled test dates at your own cost. You can check for the next possible test date on their website.