In our education we are using teaching cases, assignments and videos to highlight the issues as well as the business challenges posed by the SDGs, and confront students with the complexities of working with the SDGs. Here we share these materials per SDG, showcasing material that is most directly relevant. Explore the other SDGs.
The income gap between the lowest-paid and the highest-paid, and between rural and urban populations is widening. At this rate, it won’t be bridged for another 217 years. Inequalities like this persist even when vulnerable populations are lifted out of poverty. SDG 10 Reduced inequalities will require policies that promote social, economic and political inclusion.
This goal aims for autonomy for the fragile among us, and more development aid – including private money – flowing from north to south. And it demands the elimination of discriminatory laws and practices.
Honours student Nelly Matar is studying for a BSc in International Business Administration. She says: “Inequality is a source of social exclusion which hinders individuals’ performance in society in terms of education and work. The growth of one is the growth of all.”
Prof. Michaéla Schippers researches and teaches team reflexivity, team diversity and team leadership, as well as goal-setting, academic performance and the use of team charters to improve student team performance. She explores how goal-setting has a positive influence on performance to foster better life outcomes.
Promoting inclusivity means making sure everyone has the opportunity to excel. Here, RSM’s Dean, Prof. Steef van de Velde explains the School’s goalsetting ‘I WILL’ movement. Its effect has been transformational for subsets of students with high dropout rates.
Want to start applying your knowledge? Here are easy tips related to SDG 10:
- Sponsor a child to attend school.
- Increase cultural representation in education and media.
- Learn to respect diverging opinions and beliefs.
Want to do more? Here are the Good Life Goals.
RSM has developed a case series addressing the Sustainable development goals, which contains at least one case that specifically touches upon one of the 17 SDGs.
Cases with a primary focus on SDG 10:
You might also be interested in:
- Business and the Sustainable Development Goals – a framework for effective corporate involvement, a short book by Prof. Rob van Tulder
- Visit the Erasmus Center for Study and Career Success.
- A report from the World Economic Forum on inclusive development, with data on the Netherlands collected by RSM
- The Dynamics of Inclusive Prosperity Conference in November 2018 co-organised by the World Economic Forum and an initiative team of researchers from RSM and two other faculties in EUR.
- An article by Prof. Martin de Jong on the importance of black role models.