Foundations of Strategy
Foundations of Strategy
Competitive advantage erodes over time. Creating a new competitive edge, and implementing the strategy to do it, contributes to the future of your company. To achieve this, you need to understand the main strategic tools and skills, and recognise the impact of strategic decisions, vital for any function within an organisation.
This three-day programme offers established and proven strategy frameworks and tools that are essential to every company, and every strategy. You’ll learn how to work with the key elements of strategy so you can tackle business challenges, and recognise competitive advantages. You’ll gain actionable tips and skills to use directly in your job and organisation. The course will take roughly 50–60 hours to complete; half of it will be in class. The rest is spent on preparation, and your home assignment.
When you have completed this programme, you will be able to:
- use the latest knowledge to implement strategies in your job
- analyse industries, competition, success factors and organisational competencies – and understand their effect on strategy
- help your organisation conceptualise and formulate strategies
- identify the major challenges in executing strategy and their effects
- understand how acquisitions and alliances help strategy
- propose an action plan that will help you tackle your business challenges.
The programme Foundations of Strategy is also a component of RSM's Diploma Programme in General Management.
This programme is for all (first time or soon to be) managers – in finance, marketing, human resources and other functions – that aspire to a more senior management position, and would like to learn how they can further add to the overall success of the organisation by understanding how strategic changes and decisions will affect their day-to-day operations and add value.
Dr Raymond van Wijk
is an assistant professor in RSM’s Department of Strategic Management & Entrepreneurship. He obtained his PhD from Erasmus University Rotterdam with a study of the organisation and integration of knowledge in internal networks. His research has been published in academic journals and books. His current research focuses on alliance portfolios, knowledge transfer and innovativeness. He teaches courses on corporate development and core strategy.
€ 2,800 (excl. 21% VAT) including course materials, lunches, and snacks. This fee does not include hotel accommodation.
10% discount for alumni from Erasmus University Rotterdam and RSM. More information about the discount.
Cancellation notices must be received by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The following cancellation fees apply:
- More than 14 days before the programme’s start date: 25% of the programme fee will be charged
- Between 14 and 7 days before the programme’s start date: 75% of the programme fee will be charged
- 7 days or fewer before the programme’s start date: 100% of the programme fee will be charged
- Cancellations received on or after the programme’s start date: 100% of the programme fee will be charged.
The participant can be substituted by someone from the same company on the same course without extra costs.
General terms and conditions
The programmes take place at Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University, Bayle Building, Burgemeester Oudlaan 50, Rotterdam.
If you require hotel accommodation in Rotterdam, we recommend Novotel Rotterdam Brainpark, adjacent to the university.