Winter Course in Corporate Communication
Winter Course in Corporate Communication
Do you work in corporate communication or related fields? Our four-day Winter Course is an excellent opportunity to deepen and expand your knowledge of corporate communication. You will acquire an in-depth view of the latest developments, tools, and practical and academic insights into subjects such as organisational identity, corporate branding, strategic reputation management and strategic corporate communication.
Afterwards, you will be able to put into practice what you have learned and help your organisation optimise its communications based on academic insights and best practices.
The programme includes lectures, interactive sessions, workshops and case studies to provide an exciting and balanced learning environment.
Day 1: Organisational Identity
- Foundations of corporate communication; identity, image and reputation
- Organisational identity; from analysis to specific messaging strategies
- Two workshops on identity analysis and messaging strategies
- Guest lecture on identity change
Day 2: Corporate Branding
- Introduction to brands and their symbolic power
- Brand portfolio management; product brand vs corporate brand
- Two case studies
- Brand revitalisation, and how employees can change a brand
Day 3: Strategic Reputation Management
- A systems approach to reputation management
- Future trends; the evolving role of corporate relations in stewarding corporate reputations
- Strategic analysis; from process to positioning
- Reputation management at Heineken
Day 4: Strategic Corporate Communication
- Strategic communication; how to play the game and create value for your organisation
- Interactive session: how do you contribute to corporate success?
- Management tools to define your role and set communication goals
- Corporate communication in agile organisations: enhancing flexibility and supporting digital transformation
The following objectives are identified for the Winter Course:
Explore the theoretical foundations of corporate communication (stakeholder theory, identity and branding)
Apply theoretical frameworks to diagnose and describe the identity of your organisation
Develop an identity-led communication strategy and positioning for your organisation
Acquire a deep understanding of the power of brands for customers and organisations
Learn how a firm’s brand portfolio (including both product and corporate brands) can be leveraged for growth
Reflect on how internal and external processes affect corporate reputation and brand equity in the long-term
- Apply the generic strategies (differentiation, cost leadership and focus) for a new business idea
- Distinguish the three first mover advantages (technological leadership, preemption of assets, buyer switching costs)
- Acquire a deep understanding of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Reflect on the six path framework to reconstruct market boundaries and to move into a blue ocean strategy
Apply tools to systematise, reflect upon and describe communication objectives aligned to corporate goals
Understand the concept of agility, its drivers, and its relevance for corporate communication
Reflect on the challenges and opportunities of agility for communication professionals.
This four-day course is designed for:
- Corporate communications professionals, managers, officers and executives
- General managers and executives
- Consultants who provide communication-related advice
Participants usually have a background in corporate affairs, corporate relations, branding, marketing, public relations, or related fields. It is recommended to have a minimum of 3 years of work experience.
"The Winter Course in Corporate Communication was an exceptionally high-level training. We were handed the building blocks we need to organise professional corporate communications. The academic guest lecturers and business practitioners were inspiring. The intensive programme made me aware of the importance of the communications profession. I can apply the knowledge I gained in my daily work."
Director Corporate Communication and Public Affairs at Randstad
"The Winter Course could be summarised by the following key words: inspiring, sharing experience, new insights, a serious deepening in the field of communication, networking, fun and socialising. RSM organised the course in a fantastic way at a pleasant location, which made it easy to isolate myself from my job and to concentrate."
Communications Manager at B&A Group
Joep Cornelissen is Academic Director of the MScCC programme and Professor of Corporate Communication & Management at RSM. The main focus of his research involves studies of the role of corporate and managerial communication in the context of innovation, entrepreneurship and change, and of social evaluations of the legitimacy and reputation of start-up and established firms.
Stefano Puntoni is Professor of Marketing at RSM. He joined RSM after completing his PhD at London Business School and teaches brand management, marketing strategy, and consumer behaviour. His research has been published in prestigious international journals.
Pursey Heugens is Professor of Organisation Theory, Development, and Change at RSM, and has won numerous awards for his research and teaching. His research has been published in various top journals.
Ansgar Zerfass is Professor and Chair in Strategic Communication at the Universität Leipzig. He has published 33 books and more than 300 journal articles, book chapters, and study reports papers in several languages.
Louise Wadman is a former Head of Creative Communication at Lloyds Banking Group, a major British financial institution. With over twenty years of experience in blue chip companies facing extreme change, she has enabled leaders to retain, engage and motivate their teams. Before joining Lloyds, she worked in various communications roles at Barclays, IBM and ABN Amro.
Boudewijn van Uden is Director of Corporate Communications at a.s.r, one of the largest Dutch insurance companies. In this role he is responsible for internal and external communication, strategic communication, brand and positioning, public affairs and CSR.
Dennis Larsen is a Managing Partner at ReputationInc, a reputation management consultancy. His approach to consulting is strongly rooted in science as he helps his clients enhance business performance through powerful diagnostics based on research. He is an expert on corporate reputation, corporate responsibility and financial communications.
John-Paul Schuirink is Director Global Communications at Heineken International in Amsterdam, where he leads the global communications team. In this capacity he is responsible for Heineken’s internal and external communications worldwide.
21-24 January 2019
Monday to Wednesday: 09.00 - 22.00
Thursday: 09.00 - 16.00
The programme fee is €4,800 and includes 4x nights accommodation, breakfasts, lunches & dinners. It also includes the certificate, tuition and all course materials.
Hotel & Restaurant De Arendshoeve
Molenlaan 14, 2861 LB Bergambacht
Cancellations must be received in writing (or e-mail) at email@example.com:
- 45-30 days prior to the start date of the programme: due 25% of programme fee
- 29 – 8 days prior to the start date of the programme: due 60% of programme fee
- 7 days or less prior to the start of the programme: due 100% of programme fee
To receive full refund, the notice of cancellation must be received more than 45 days prior to the start of the programme (a charge of 10% costs is applicable). If the programme is cancelled, liability is limited to the programme fee.
The participant can be substituted by someone from the same organisation on the same course without extra costs.
There are spots available for the Winter Course. You can apply with our online application form:
- Application form
Choose the second or third option.
If you have questions or would like to receive additional information, please feel free to contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at +31 10 408 2851.
- Application form
The Winter Course can also be taken as part of RSM's Executive Master in Corporate Communication, an accredited and part-time master programme for communications professionals. Find out more: